1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printer problems w/Vista64

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kimoeagle, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kimoeagle

Kimoeagle Thread Starter

I recently purchased an HPa6530f with Vista64 OS. I also have a 4-yr-old HP6122 duplex printer, and I have a home LAN w/one HP4900 laptop using it.
    With my old XP SP2 OS, my laptop could share printers.
    In order for my new unit to use printer at all, I had to download HP990c printer drivers. That works, but I can no longer print from my laptop. I've loaded both 6122 and 990c drivers on laptop.No joy.
    I have the feeling that I am missing a configuration step somewhere along the line.:confused:
    I am also aware that SOME things won't work with a 64-bit system, like Palm's OS, for instance.
    Am open for comments.

2. topcat989

topcat989

I have Vista 32 and a HP 6310 AIO and was having problems. The software from Hp website wouldn't even install. I now use PaperPort Professional 11 found here http://www.nuance.com/paperport/. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

3. Kimoeagle

Kimoeagle Thread Starter

Hi TopCat,

I have an HP G3010 scanner ( a new model, I believe), and it has performed satisfactorily with my HP6530f Vista64 unit. A goodly portion of the other software that I have, has responded well with the "compatibility" option, and in some cases, the WOW function of the chip/firmware/whatever has automatically done the 'downshifting' for me. Strangely enough, FamilyTree Maker 8, which was VERY flaky on my 32-bit unit, is now quite docile and well-behaved. However, there are SOME programs that just won't function, even after the attempt to make things "compatible". Flash and some of the Java programs will not live in the 64-bit world, and will not function in either of the two 64-bit browsers that I have (IE8b and (Mozilla)Minefield 3.1a2pre). However, they WILL work in the FireFox 3.1b1 (32-bit) environment.
    I spent all of Sunday afternoon on the phone, trying to get an answer to what I believe is a very basic question from Hewlett-Packward (the aforementioned post). I spoke with Lahore, India, then back to Colorado, then back to Calcutta, and after 90 minutes of holding, with promotional lah-de-dah in my ear, I hung up. Three letters have gone off to HP corporate, but I am not optimistic.
    I guess it's a great life if you don't weaken, eh?
    Thanks for the comment, TopCat. It did not help me, but perhaps it will help SOMEone out there. Thanks for your effort!!!!
    JHH

4. topcat989

topcat989

5. Kimoeagle

Kimoeagle Thread Starter

Hi TopCat,
    No, I didn't try PaperPort Professional because my problem is not with my scanner. That works ok.
    My problem, I think, is that, somewhere along the line, I do not have my laptop configured to handle issuing a command to print. Our laptop is wirelessly connected (LAN) to a router, and uses our Internet connection. It has also shared our 6122 printer -- UNTIL I changed desktops. Changing the desktop demanded that I tell my new desktop PC that the 6122 was really a Deskjet 990c. After I downloaded 990c drivers to the new PC, I could print -- from the new PC to the printer(hard-wired). However, when on the laptop, and a printing request is made, it queques up, but the request does not get understood, and that print request dies. I see the queque on the laptop, but I show NO sign of that queque on the desktop PC (which is acting as a temporary print server).
    So -- I really am looking for instruction as to how to configure our laptop so that it can issue print commands that will be understood by our new Vista64 PC and passed on to our 6122 printer(which is masquerading as a HP 990c.)
    Seriously, I think that my question is a relatively simple one, in which when I learn the answer, I am going to feel sort of stupid for not seeing it beforehand. But, I'm not there yet.
    JHH

6. topcat989

topcat989

7. Kimoeagle

Kimoeagle Thread Starter

My printer problem was solved by the purchase of a network-ready printer (HP6988).This printer can be completely wireless or hybrid. It cares not whether it got the print command from a Vista or an XP computer.
    Bottom line to problem: The (new) Vista64 computer did not understand and did not apparently want to be a pseudo-printer server. It did not recognize the laptop on the network, and the laptop did not recognize the desktop in the network as well.As Kipling put it,"...and never the twain shall meet."
    I now have a new printer that works, even though I had problems in installing the printer driver. But that's another story, and I am thankful that I had the patient advice from an HP printer tech in Canada. Amen, and amen!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice