1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printer Server Quesitons

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Guldan, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

I have a printer server full of printers which are working fine (server 2003)
    I added a second printer server (for backup) (server 2008)

on the backup printer server I added the first server into the managment snap in.. so it shows both, then I added all the printers onto the backup server (just not shared out)

Questions:

-Why do most of the printers on the new server say (redirected 3), one says "on printer01" which is my main server...
    -If the main printer server goes down, is there a way they will be redirected to my second servers printers? is that what the redirected means?
    -If I have a printer on both servers, say "Lexmark 640XL" they shouldn't conflict at all over the network right? both are using the same IP port just on different computers.

thx

2. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

-Why do most of the printers on the new server say (redirected 3), one says "on printer01" which is my main server...
    Redirected usually means printers from a client connected via a RDP session. The client printers are redirected in the RDP session. This way you can print documents from your RDP session on the printer configured on the client. So there is probably a client connected via RDP to the server

-If the main printer server goes down, is there a way they will be redirected to my second servers printers? is that what the redirected means?
    No, not automatically in the current setup. And no, that is not what redirected means.

-If I have a printer on both servers, say "Lexmark 640XL" they shouldn't conflict at all over the network right? both are using the same IP port just on different computers
    As the computer name is different, this isn't a problem at all.

3. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

Excellent! I guess I have no issues then

Thank you sir

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice