Solved: Printer Server Quesitons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Guldan

I have a printer server full of printers which are working fine (server 2003)
I added a second printer server (for backup) (server 2008)

on the backup printer server I added the first server into the managment snap in.. so it shows both, then I added all the printers onto the backup server (just not shared out)

Questions:

-Why do most of the printers on the new server say (redirected 3), one says "on printer01" which is my main server...
-If the main printer server goes down, is there a way they will be redirected to my second servers printers? is that what the redirected means?
-If I have a printer on both servers, say "Lexmark 640XL" they shouldn't conflict at all over the network right? both are using the same IP port just on different computers.

thx

-Why do most of the printers on the new server say (redirected 3), one says "on printer01" which is my main server...
Redirected usually means printers from a client connected via a RDP session. The client printers are redirected in the RDP session. This way you can print documents from your RDP session on the printer configured on the client. So there is probably a client connected via RDP to the server

-If the main printer server goes down, is there a way they will be redirected to my second servers printers? is that what the redirected means?
No, not automatically in the current setup. And no, that is not what redirected means.

-If I have a printer on both servers, say "Lexmark 640XL" they shouldn't conflict at all over the network right? both are using the same IP port just on different computers
As the computer name is different, this isn't a problem at all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online