1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Soonerfan, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Thread Starter

I am having problems sharing a printer connected to my desktop running ME. I can print one test page from my laptop running XP Home but when I try to print it a second time I get a message that the printer is not found on the server and cannot connect. Same thing happens when I print from other applications. File sharing works fine. When I go to view my network only the laptop shows up after I get the error message. After rebooting both computers I can see both of them on my network. I have reinstalled my network a number of times and made an XP file to set up my desktop. Any ideas on why my printer is disconnecting or suggestions I would appreciate the help. My printer is an Epson CX3200 All-In-One.

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Rightclick on My Computer on the laptop, choose Search option.
    Search for computers on the network and type in the desktop pc's name.
    Is it found?

By the way, is this a wired or a wireless network?
    And, file sharing works fine even after the error message?

3. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Thread Starter

Malacka,

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested. The desktop shows up but I still can't print from the laptop. I can only access the files from my laptop. When I try to access the files on my laptop from my desktop I can not.

I have a Netgear wirless router with 4 ports.
    The laptop is wireless and the desktop is connected via an ethernet cable.

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Edit: I wrote a very stupid sentence here, but deleted, once I realized how ignorant I was. The rest follows.

Question 1:
    After rebooting both computers, can you print from the laptop anything other than test pages? Can you print out more than 1 page? If you haven't done so before, try this with any document which is at least 2-3 pages long.

Question 2:
    After printing something from the laptop, the laptop doesn't see the printer anymore. But from the desktop you still can print, right? Or the desktop, too, looses the printer's connection?

I might have more questions, or something to recommend, if this 2nd question is answered.

5. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Thread Starter

I had trouble getting my setup to print but after booting my laptop last after I had my printer and desktop on I was finally able to print. I printed three pages from Word and it printed fine. I immidiately tried to print the same three pages again and got a error message.

No problem printing from the desktop.

6. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Okay. So I have other questions.
    3) After printing once from the laptop, the error occurs. When the error has occurred, is the printer still shared on the desktop? You can check this by opening the Printers folder, right click on Epson, select Properties then Share tab.

4) What port do you use on the laptop to connect to the desktop's shared printer? You can check this the same way as sharing, only with Ports tab.

5) How did you create this port? That is, how did you connect to the shared printer the first time?

7. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Thread Starter

3. Yes it is stilled shared.

4. \\mainpc\EPSON: LAN Manager Printer Port: Epson.

5. Don't remember. It may have been automatic when I used the wizard.

8. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I might be wrong, but I would try the following:
    On the laptop open Printers folder.
    Delete Epson.
    Select Add printer
    Select Local printer, and uncheck the Plug & Play option.
    On the next screen select Create new port, Local Port
    On the next screen the port name should be \\mainpc\share name
    (the name by which the printer is shared on the desktop, probably EPSON)

The rest I can't tell exactly, because I have no network here and can't verify my words, but here comes the actual installation of the printer. You will have to select a printer type, then might need to install the printer driver, or accept the previously installed driver, if it still exists.

This procedure may or may not work for you. I told you to delete EPSON, but wouldn't want to leave you printerless, so make sure that you can restore the original (current) state, if needed. You can most probably do it by reinstalling the printer the same way as the first time, or making a system restore point.

9. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Thread Starter

When I try to add the new local port \\mainpc\EPSON I get an error message saying that it already exists.

I was able to finally delete the port and then added a new one. I have to leave but it appears all is working well.

Thank you so very much for your help. I will put it to the test when I get back.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice