Solved: Printing from my laptop to officejet v40

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

masshlx

Hi. I have HP dv3-2155mx, running Vista, sp2. Desktop pc running XP, sp2, Pentium 4, 1.5ghz. I've tried everything (I think) to print from my laptop to the HP printer connected to my pc. Wireless network setup, running fine. I've read other messages here, nothing seems to work.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Patrick

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about describing what the exact symptoms are? Do you see the printer when you browse for network printers? Does file sharing work from the laptop to the desktop? What error messages (if any) do you get?

This is a procedure that may work for installing network printers when the normal install doesn't work properly.

1. Select: Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer
  2. Choose Add Local Printer.
  3. Uncheck the box marked :Automatically detect my PnP printer.
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port.
  6. Click Next
  7. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name.
  8. Key in: \\<computer_name>\<printer_name> See note below
  9. Click OK
  10. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. If your specific printer isn't shown, you can click on Have Disk and browse to the folder where you have the unpacked drivers for your printer.

Note:
<computer_name> - Computer name from Control Panel, System status display.
<printer_name> - The actual name of the network printer viewed by browsing to the shared printer on the network.

Hi:See if this helps.If not I can send you a link to a rather lengthy,but complete tutorial on network sharing between xp and vista.

Hints and tips from Terrynet on the Networking Forum

Printer and File Sharing

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select &#8216;Properties.&#8217; If not already there, install or add a check mark for &#8220;Client for Microsoft Networks, &#8220;File and Printer sharing &#8230;&#8221; and &#8220;Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).&#8221;

Right click on My Computer and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine.

If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel &#8211; Windows Firewall &#8211; on the General tab it should be &#8220;On&#8221; and on the Exceptions tab &#8220;File and Printer Sharing&#8221; should be selected.

Take special note of this tip:

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

If you want the wizard way for XP ...

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

File sharing on Vista is a bit different (and probably easier). Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

masshlx

Finally getting to work with the solutions presented. A combination of the 2 did the trick. Thank you both very much.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online