1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Printing mp3 file lists

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Topazz, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Have done a search on the forum and found a thread here but it doesn't quite go as far as I would like.

I use Cdex to rip my music CDs onto my hard drive to play on my computer with WinAmp. Cdex files all the individual CDs into their own folders and each band has its own folder as well. Thus my D: drive consists of one folder containing numerous band folders which contain numerous CD song folders.

What I would like to do is click on the D: drive and request a file and/or printout of all those folders in one go. I don't want to click on each folder and request a printout of each individual folder as there are a lot of them. An HTML or text file would be good.

Does anyone know of a good program that will do this? I have looked at the lists in the link that pvc9 gave in the above link (a lot of which appear to be dead links) but it would be nice if someone could recommend one that they find good.

Thank you. :)

2. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

I use tagscanner for all of my mp3's it is freeware and gets great reviews.....I have found it to be a great tool to transfer all of my files to excel........maybe this is what you are looking for...you can get at the link below

http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/gmm/fwmusicman.shtml

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thank you for that recommendation, I have downloaded it and will try it out today.

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

If you can go to DOS prompt, try this.

on C:\> prompt, type the following. I assume your cd drive is D drive and the root contains folders for all the MP3 files.

D:
    cd\
    dir /s > prn

This will print out the whole list of files onto your printer.

Alternatively you can also use this

C:
    dir d: /s > list.txt

This will create a file called list.txt in the root of C drive. You can read that file in notepad, word, etc and print as per your convenience.

Hope I have not misunderstood your problem.

5. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

abvavguser: Thanks for that, your method is a nice quick way to get exactly what I want.

I have just found out about a similar method to yours which gives the contents of the directories but not the file sizes and dates that your method provides. In case anyone is interested the procedure is as follows:

At the DOS prompt navigate to the directory/folder that contains your music (or other) files.

To do this my commands are:
    D:
    cd\ "mp3 music"

then type:

tree /f>>music.txt

What this does is list the "tree" (ie all folders and their contents) then send it to a text file called "music". This file will then be found in my "mp3 music" folder.

It's good to have various alternatives to choose from depending on which result one requires. :)

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Glad it helped you. Yes I was aware of this tree command but never used it so far. Will surely try it out. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice