1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Printing page from PDF file download

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Esteban, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

I downloaded some very important pages on my " win-zip" type program. These pages are larger, horizontally , than the screen, & I wish to print them, one at a time. I have the page setup to print horizontally, but cannot shrink the page to paper size, All I get is about 75 % of the page printed. I cannot figure this out, & these reports are very important to me. Any help? Thanks in advance!!!

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

a little confused by your info:

it's a pdf file right?

adjust the view so it fits in the window for viewing and see whether it's a portrait (vert.) page or a landscape (horiz.) page

print settings:
    if the original page is landscape (horizontal), then use landscape for your printer settings.
    if the original is portrait (vertical), then use the portrait setting in your printer

an outside possibility is that it is a larger size than 8.5X11 but oyur pirnter should pick up on that anyways if it's 8.5X14 or whatever

3. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

This is the site where I am getting the files.

http://www.quartercav.net/new/archivesmain.htm

I am downloading the daily journals[ top left corner]& wanting to print out a few of them. I have set the printing to landscape, but cannot set the contents of the page to the screen size. I cannot see how to do this. It was probably on 8x14 paper. My printer prints only about 2/3 of the page, from left to right.Thanks

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

maybe i'm looking in the wrong place, but all the zip files seem to contain jpg (graphic) files not pdf files

in the explanation link on the page, it says the files are jpg or tiff (another graphic format - and while larger, probably has more detail and clarity, especially for printing), and it refers you to irfanview - a graphic program which will allow you to view, resize, and print the jpgs
    - it's a decent enough (and free!) program

couldn't find any pdf files though - can you id a specif zip file to look at?

5. slipe

slipe

They worked fine for me in Irfanview. Set the preferences to View>Fit Images to Window. When you print, Irfanview will ask you what size you want to print it. www.irfanview.com

You can rotate the image 90 degrees and get a larger representation using landscape for the pages that are longer than standard.

Another alternative is to crop out a standard 8 ½ X 11 from the top of the document. Print that and open the document again. Crop the part you didn’t print and print it to the other side or a different page.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

ahhh - but you knew they were jpg files, not pdf :)

7. slipe

slipe

jbcalg: Best guess. The journals seemed to all be jpg as you already noticed.

8. slipe

slipe

If these journals are really valuable to you it might be worth the effort to improve them with an image editor. Paint Shop Pro and PhotoImpact both have 30 day free trials which should be plenty of time. This program is a freeware version with some of the fancier features removed, but it should be more than capable of cleaning up the images. http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=1012&categoryid=3&subcategoryid=36

Here is one of the images I cleaned up a little in Photoshop. Evidently it was scanned with something printed on the other side that shows through. That can normally be easily removed with the threshold control. I used the histogram instead to try to balance out the two parts that were different. You could normally mess with the threshold to just remove the background and some of the clutter and it would take only a minute or so per image once you got going.

Save the images as something other than jpg if you work with them at all. Every time you save and open a jpg it loses quality due to the compression method. These images have probably both lost quality as I had to use jpg to get them small enough to display. The cleaned up image has been opened and saved three times, so it isn’t as good as it would have been had I just opened the original jpg and immediately converted to tif.

Attached Files:

9. slipe

slipe

That didn't work - try again:

Attached Files:

10. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did not have Irfanview, or any similar software to work with. Now, I can do it! These pages mean a lot to me. They are military daily journals of our unit in Vietnam. I have downloaded the pages of action, where myself, & four firends were wounded, & a friend was killed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice