1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printing problem Access Report

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rkselby98, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Problem one, sort order for printing the receipts records.
    The way it is it prints each record for each person instead of by Receipt number. The receipt number is the number at the top right corner. These have to print using the receipt number for the print order.

Second problem is the Year To Date (YTD) amount
    As it is now each time a new amount is entered for a person it changes all the records for the person's YTD entry. Sometimes they have to go back and reprint a receipt and when they do the YTD amount is the total till present and not the YTR for that date.

If these require Macros or VB please keep it simple, I know nothing about either. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I need to first correct it and second learn how to do it correctly.

Thank you for all help.

2. OBP

OBP

Hello Rick, have a look at this copy of the Report, I have added a Sort Order to it.
    To do so and to see the current order view the Report in Design view and on the Main Menu click on View>Sorting & Grouping.
    To control the Dates that are supplied to your Report you need to base the Report on a Query and then Restrict the Query data to the Date that you want to run.
    Do you select something in a Form before you rerun the Receipts report in question?

3. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Okay let me take a look at this. I've been trying to sort by column (receiptnumber) IF so then I am learning and hopefully that is good.

4. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

I see how you are doing the sorting in the reports, I was doing it wrong. I was trying to sort by doing it in the form and sorting using the A/Z icon on the toolbar. It sorted the data in the form but not the report. I tried what you suggested and that’s works the way it is suppose to. Thank you,

Now for the query, I am running a query for the YTR using DonorID and DonorAmount, sum of DonorAmount This gives me a sum of all donations for that donor but it changes the YTD on all receipts for the donor and I just want it to change the last entry.

I am missing something in the query that limits the change to the last donation plus the previous YTD total or something like that. Not sure how to do this using Access. In Excel I can use the previous total YTD and add the new amount but I am not sure how to achieve this in Access.

Am I making sense yet?

5. OBP

OBP

Rick, I don't quite understand what you are doing with the YTD query, are you then using that in a Report or Form?
    Are you trying to use the Field in the Donations Table called Total Donations?
    It is not normal to store "Calculated data" in the table because as you have seen it is handled by queries and you can also have Totals on reports as well.
    If you wanted to have the Total Donations Stored somewhere it would actually be better if it was in a Totals Table where you just have 2 fields the DonorID and their DonorTotal, then each time you add a donation it gets added to the total.

Can you explain what it is you actually want to do with the Total?

6. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

By your reply I think you understand what I am trying to do but want to make sure, smart reply on your part being sure before you say do this!

The YTD is a query I am using. What I want this to do and it is in the "Report" is keep track of the YTD total for each donor.

The problem being the YTR for Jan changes if a donation is made in Feb. The YTD in Jan changes and is the same as the YTR for Feb. IF a person would lose a receipt for taxes and some like to keep all of them and ask for a copy of a previous month the YTD is wrong because it updates to and includes the latest donation instead of being what the figure was when it was made. Confusing I know but I don't know how to explain it any better. I have a hard time explaining myself, spent to many years driving truck and talking to myself....

I think by your reply you have a good idea what I am trying to do and I think your suggestion will work but let me see if I understand this.

Create a new table for just the total for each donor that will do what the query is doing now but by doing it in the table it will keep the previous totals.

Now by doing it this way I wouldn't need the query would I? These may sound like stupid questions to you but to me they help clarify it for me. Just put the calculation in the table if I understand or would I have to use the query to get this figure?

7. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

A big thanks to OBC for helping me solve the problems I was having with this db. This post is now closed

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice