1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printing to an RF printer via an IP Socket

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Devguy, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devguy

Devguy Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to solve a programming issue and hope someone can help me.

I write software for Handheld Computers and have to supply two WiFi enabled handhelds and two WiFi enabled printers (Citizen CLP621 with Wireless Ethernet connections) for use in a front of business selling scenario. The operator takes an order from a customer and enterers the required information onto the HH, then wirelessly prints a receipt which the customer takes to the pay point.

I have previously done this very successfully with BlueTooth, (Simple open a COM port and send a serial stream to it), In this case my client has insisted that this is done wirelessly, so I want to open an IP socket and send a message packet to the printer in exactly the same way so I don't have to re-write too much code.

I have the printers established on the network, they have been allocated a suitable IP address with a Forever lease, the Handheld is also registered on the wireless network with its own IP address and a forever lease.

The problem is that trying to open an IP socket in Vb.NET (VS 2005 developement platform) requires a port number to connect to, I cannot find this number for the network printer and subsequently the IP socket refuses to open :confused: I have tried using the client name in the hope that the DNS would resolve it for me but it doesn't.

I have searched MSDN and other forums to solve this and frankly it is driving me mad !!
    Has anyone got any ideas as to a sloution please to save what little hair I have left ?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll move you over to development where you have a better chance for a response. :)

3. GCDude

GCDude

Think you will find that most printers accept a raw print stream on port 9100.

You can see this if you go to a windows printer properties page and have a look at the port settings. A standard TCP/IP port will use 9100 (although switching to LPR uses 515, which you cant see).

4. Devguy

Devguy Thread Starter

Just to say thanks to GCDude - 9100 was the right port number.

I have managed to get the printer working, thanks again for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice