1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Printing Windows ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dalice, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dalice

Dalice Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario Internet PC with Win ME on it. Everything is working fine, except for one little thing.

No matter what printer I attach, it won't print. It sees the printer, sees the port, etc.

It sends a job, but nothing prints, the on line light blinks on one printer like it sees data, the other printer I tried blinks amber which indicates some kind of error.

Does anyone have an idea of what to do?

I cannot even print from a DOS prompt. I have re-installed, deleted, etc. The printers are connected on LPT1. They are two different types of printers. No, they aren't connected at the same time, I just tried a different printer to see what was going on.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Go to:

Start>Help

Type in the word printer in the search engine.

On the left hand side choose "Troubleshooting for printers, scanning & photos"

On the left hand side, on the bottom choose "Printer Troubleshooting"

Follow the prompts ;)

3. Dalice

Dalice Thread Starter

I've done that. No go. They say contact the printer manufacturer. That won't help when they are two different printers from two different manufacturers.

What else?

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Have you verified that the cable is good on another computer?

Some printers need the settings set to "bi-directional". Is it a bi-directional cable?

5. Dalice

Dalice Thread Starter

The cable is the same one that has been attached since I got the printer and it worked until about a month or so ago. HM?

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

The only way that you can accurately troubleshoot is to start ruling things out. To do this you cannot just "assume" that something is OK. You need to verify that the cable is good or bad. Can you buy a new one at the store? You can always return it later if it's not the problem.

7. Dalice

Dalice Thread Starter

I have another and will try that. Any other suggestions to give try to tonight?

BTW - thanks for the help so far. It is appreciated.

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

It is my pleasure to help you ;)

In computerland troubleshooting can sometimes be very drawn out and frustrating. You have to take it step by step or you will only make things worse for yourself in the long run.

At this point you are basically play odds here. Since you have two printers and neither one of them are responding, the odds are that both printers are not bad (not impossible, but again, you are playing odds).

You have to ask yourself "self? ...what do these two printers have in common?" and then work from there.

Since the printers are installed correctly and the computer already sees them, the weakest link now is the cable. If that turns out to be good then we will have to try reinstalling one of the printers again and just keep tracing it back until the problem shows up. Piece of cake ;)

9. Dalice

Dalice Thread Starter

I fixed the problem this past weekend. First, one of the printers didn't like it's print head any more. I bought and installed a new one and it banged out the printing.

Second, I find that the other printer isn't supported in WinME. It is an old printer and doesn't like ME.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice