1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem adding DVD-RW to IDE RAID controller card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kxr, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kxr

kxr Thread Starter

hi guys, i'm new here
    I've just bought a new system, but have kept my 2 existing hard drives and DVD/CD-RW.
    As my motherboard only has one IDE connector, I bought a IDE/Raid controller card (SIL680-XXX).

After doing a clean install of XP and installing the raid card drivers, I have now tried to connect my DVD-RW to the card but can't boot into windows.

So I have my hard drives connected to the motherboard IDE and the DVD-RW to the IDE raid controller. I've tried connecting the DVD to the blue connection and the white connection and also changing the master/slave config on the DVD with no luck.
    What happens is the BIOS loads normally, the RAID config screen then loads showing my DVD as drive 2, then it just reboots and does the whole thing again.

I've tried stripping back to my master HDD connected to the blue IDE connection on the raid card, with the DVD connected to the white connection, but I get "a disk error occurred".

Any ideas? I really want to connect the DVD only to the card.

thanks! :)

2. kxr

kxr Thread Starter

in case anyone comes across this thread with a similar problem....
    I ended up leaving the master HDD and DVD on the motherboard IDE and adding the second HDD as a master on the blue connection on the IDE raid card.
    Finally ,it's all working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice