Solved: Problem booting XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bilnrobn

Bill
I have a Compaq laptop with XP which is linked to my main computer via wireless connection. I have had a minor problem for a while when booting. After loading up XP I get a log in box with 'Administrator' in the box. A second window opens on top of the first which says "Unable to log on because of an account restriction" I found that if I clicked OK on this box and then entered my user name, ('Bill') in place of 'Administrator' I could then get in and the computer worked fine. (There is no password for 'Bill' a blank field works.)
Now when I try to boot up the same thing happens, but both boxes only appear momentarily and then are gone and the machine locks up with the message "Windows is starting up" on the screen.
I have started in Safe Mode and gone into Control Panel/User Accounts. This shows two Computer Administrators, 'Administrator' and 'Bill'. It also shows 'Guest. Guest account is off'.
Can anyone assist me to get the computer to log in as 'Bill'? I can't work out how to do this. It is a home computer and I am the only one using it so there is no need for multiple user safeguards.

Sounds like the administrator account may be corrupted? If you are the only one using it then why not delete the other admin account?
Make sure your "Bill" account is set up as an administrator and then delete the "administrator" account and files.

In user accounts: change the way users log off and on - enable show the welcome screen, then enable fast user switching.

bilnrobn

Bill
Sequal, there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting the Administrator account.
When I click another Admin account, like 'bill' the options I have are Change the name, Create a password, Change the picture, Change the account type and Delete the account.
But for the Aministrator account the only options available are Create a password, Change the picture and Set up my account to use a .net Passport.
I am finding the User Account screens very frustrating... you are constantly chasing your tail.

I have not been able to boot up except in Safe Mode for over a week now. Can someone pleaaaase help me?

bilnrobn

Bill
Elvandil, I can't use your suggestion either as the machine will only boot into safe mode, therefore I can't get onto the web or even transfer by downloading onto my main machine and transferring via email or CD

Click "Start"=>Run then type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes).
There you should be able to delete the other admin account.
Make sure you are logged in as "Bill" and that you have administrator priviledges.
ps. you can also untick the tickbox that says: "Users must enter a username and password to enter this computer".

bilnrobn

Bill
Thanks dobbelina! I still couldn't delete the Administrator account, I think it is a required account, but I changed its name and I ticked the box, which was already unticked, and now it boots up just fine. Go figure!

That probably means you're logged in as the "Administrator", since you can't delete
the currently logged in account.
I'm happy you got it solved :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online