1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem connecting to library's wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcgett17, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcgett17

mcgett17 Thread Starter

I am at the public library and my computer will not connect to the internet. It says its connected to the router, but it isn't connected to the actual internet. I have tried resetting my IP address, released the DNS etc.

I know that a page should pop up when i load the browser asking for my library card # and pin, but it does not appear and i have to put that info in to connect. The people at the library are older and less tech savvy, and do not know what to do to fix it.

Please someone help me! My computer connects to my wireless at home, wi fi hot spots (Starbucks, McDonald, target etc) and my neighbors wireless, but it will not connect to the library.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What firewall or security suite or anti-spyware is, or ever was, on the system?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. mcgett17

mcgett17 Thread Starter

I have avg 2013, i turned off the firewall on both the windows firewall and avg firewall. I will try and post a screen shot, I am at the library but i do not have a way of sending the screenshot from my laptop to the computer at the library i am on. I will try finding a usb drive to save the screenshot on.

when i did the ipconfig/all, it temporarily connected to the internet, only to have the exclamation point in the yellow triangle a few seconds after...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's possible that AVG (even if "turned off") is preventing the connection or preventing the browser redirection to the library's sign-in page. The only way to really test that is to uninstall AVG (first make sure you know your product key or whatever you need to reinstall it) and run the AVG Remover.

5. mcgett17

mcgett17 Thread Starter

i will give that a try and see what happens, thank you

6. mcgett17

mcgett17 Thread Starter

i finally got it working, thank you for all your help

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Great! You're welcome. :)

Was it AVG or something else?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice