1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem getting wireless router to connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Silent Knight, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silent Knight

Silent Knight Thread Starter

I have an IBM ThinkCenter running XP Professional, connected to the internet and another computer via an ADSL modem and ethernet router. I am trying to replace the ethernet connections with a Linksys WRT 54G wireless router.

The installation seemed to go fine, but I get no internet connection. The only help from the Linksys setup routine was a suggestion that the ISP may have trouble identifying the modem when the wireless router is attached.

The IPConnect output when connected through the ethernet is ...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : IBM
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-60-24-F1-8D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.42.192.253
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:36:02 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 08, 2008 3:36:02 AM

When using the wireless router I get almost identical results ...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : IBM
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-60-24-F1-8D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.42.192.253
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:19:26 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:19:26 PM

The ISP is Intrex (local to the Raleigh NC area I think). I'll try them for help too, but sometimes it takes a while get them to respond.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you power cycle (unplug for at least 30 seconds) the modem when switching routers? If not, that's probably your problem.

3. Silent Knight

Did that when first installing the Linksys, with no success. Now I can power down everything (modem, router, computer), and power up again, again with no luck.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps your ISP is one of the few that tracks the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem. Clone to the new router's WAN the same MAC address used in the old router's WAN and try again.

When you have tried again with the proper power cycle, what is the status of the WAN in the new router? Are there any clues in the log why the connection is unsuccessful?

5. avisitor

avisitor

Does your router need to dial a PPPoE connection and have you configured it to do so if necessary?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good point, Austin. I was thinking cable, but Intrex seems to be DSL.

7. Silent Knight

Yes, it's a DSL connection.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the PPPoE issue. It has been years since I installed the old ethernet router, so I don't recall how I did that.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just look at the WAN section of the old router to see how it's set up (maybe a login/password also?). Make a screen shot or write it down and then configure the new router's WAN the same way. At least, that works in theory. :)

By the way, it's good to keep a record of this type of information just it case your router completely fails or you have to reset it to factory default settings.

9. Silent Knight

OK, here's where my ignorance of anything happening under the hood becomes obvious:

"Just look at the WAN section of the old router to see how it's set up (maybe a login/password also?) ... then configure the new router's WAN the same way. "

How do I get that info? How do I configure the new router?

Information from the ISP has not been helpful here.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Type the router's LAN address (192.168.1.1 for both of yours) into a browser address bar, login, and navigate to the WAN (Internet) section.

You probably got a user manual on CD with your Linksys wireless router or you can download it from Linksys's web site. If you need it, you can probably get a user manual for your other router similarly.

11. Silent Knight

After almost a week of banging my head against a wall, I have found the solution.

Among the red herrings I discovered a couple of things that may be of interest. Trying to access the settings for my old Zonet router, I needed a user name and password, which I had a hard time finding - it turned out to be "admin"/"admin". I had tried all combinations except that one. Trying to get answers from the Zonet web site, Google informed me that "This site may harm your computer". I decided not to go there!

Using printed information that came with the Linksys router and the accompanying CD proved to be fruitless, and my ISP was not a lot of help.

It was indeed a problem in the Linksys setup. Mostly by accident I found on the Linksys web site the key to the solution: They need to have the computer's IPL address changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. That did it. Everything else in the setup is handled automatically.

So thanks Auston and Terry.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I interpreted "ADSL modem and ethernet router" as meaning a separate modem and router and you were replacing the router. All our advice was predicated on that assumption.

Are you now saying that you have a modem/router combo and added another (wireless) router? Had we realized that we, of course, would have advised to change the LAN subnet of one of them or to use the second router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point.

13. Silent Knight

No no, your assumption was correct - I had a separate modem and router.

On the advice of the ISP support I had actually tried adding the Linksys router to the old router, but to no effect of course.

(Added in edit: I had actually swapped out the modem at one point, and the results were the same as before)

No, it looks as if Lniksys wants you to change to 192.168.2.1 anytime you install a 54G wireless router.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice