1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem hooking up DSL through CAT5 in the wall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bennykat, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

I have CAT5 cables run throughout my house to a few different jacks. They plug into my modem downstairs. I want to hook up my desktop internet through one of the wall jacks upstairs. The wall jack has CAT5 cable run to it but only accepts telephone wire sized jacks. How do I connect to the internet with this setup?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't think that's going to happen. Cat5 jacks have 6 conductors and phone jacks only 4. I doubt anyone would use a phone jack for Cat 5. Have you tried a phone on that jack?

3. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

I don't have a landline. There are 3 Cat5 wires coming out of the wall where the modem is located. They are plugged into the modem. Each one goes to a different jack in the house. The plate where you would plug in a wire in the rooms where the Cat5 cables were run take a telephone sized wire. I'm confused as to why there would be Cat5 wires in the wall but a telephone jack to plug into.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may have to remove the box from the wall to see what is going on with the wires. Though there have to be 6 connections for cat5 and you can only get 4 with a phone jack, it is possible that not all 6 are used and tht 4 will suffice for connectivity. You could always put the correct jack in if, in fact, you find cat5 back there. Just because you don't have a landline doesn't mean that the wiring for it is not still present. Take a look at your phone service circuit and see how many wires come off that, too.

5. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

I took off the plate for the jack and the gray wire coming out actually has 8 wires but only 4 are connected to the phone jack. The remaining 4 wires are just pushed to the side. I don't know where to look for the phone service circuit :(

6. Rockn

Rockn

Someone made a CAT5 run and just wired it for phone. What is the other end of that connection terminated with?

7. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

Its connected to the modem.

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

CAT5 cable is commonly used for phone wiring as it's well within specs.

That seems to be what you have there...a phone jack wired with CAT5 cable, as Rockn pointed out.

9. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

So, back to my original question. How do I connect to the internet with this setup?

10. Rockn

Rockn

You can't. Answering other questions would help you get to where you want to be.

11. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

In order to make it work, is it correct that I would have to change the telephone jack to a cat5 jack? Is there such a thing as a cat5 jack?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like they used cat5 cable all right, but it is connected to the phone system and not the modem.

Can you test it? You could disconnect the wire you think it is from the modem and then test the continuity of 2 of the conductors. Go back to the jack and hook those 2 same color wires together and then go test it again. If you have a complete circuit, then you know that that wire goes to that jack. If not, it goes somewhere else.

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

You absolutely could wire a CAT5 jack in place of the phone jack. The good thing is, the hard part is already done (the cable run).

Here's a guide

14. bennykat

bennykat Thread Starter

The house I'm in is new and is unfinished in this department. The reason I say the cat5 cables are connected to the modem is because they are coming out of the wall and are plugged into the modem. There's not a box there yet. The guy that ran the wires only ran cat5 and not phone. The only phone wire goes from the outdoor box to the modem b/c its only used for dsl. I hope that makes sense.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it's not a "cat5" jack. It is the normal network cable jack, but almost any jack can be used with that cable. The jack you want is actually the 8P8C jack, that is often called "RJ-45" due to their physical resemblance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice