1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem In Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patmac, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi, Have seen this a few times and am not sure why it stops. When I click on one of my partition drives, called "Music" to highlight it, then go to "File" in order to make a new folder there, Easy CD Creator 5 Basic tries to load/install but errors out and says to insert it's disk, then I have to cancel out of the installation. I haven't used that Roxio app in over three years. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.
    patmac

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

3. 1101doc

1101doc

It sounds to me like you are having a Windows Installer error re the old program. Some bit of that old program may be embedded in some of the files and this triggers Installer. Perhaps the Installer clean-up utility will help. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks 1101doc. I checked out the link to Microsoft regarding this, and it mentions the Installer Cleanup Utility is useful when there are installation issues. I know it appears that's what I have, but not really. I'm fairly certain I removed the problem app through Add/Remove a while ago. It also warns about harming other programs etc, so I'm just checking again here before proceeding. Thanks again.
    patmac

5. 1101doc

1101doc

Although a program is removed(uninstalled), there may be yet some references to the program in the Windows Installer files. If you start the Installer cleanup utility, it will provide a list of applications to which Installer has reference. If Easy CD Creator is listed, a one click on it to highlight and selecting "Remove" will not do anything to any other application. It will simply "cleanup" the Installer files for the selected program. I have used it several times. A great addition to my Windows toolbox. Obviously you don't want to "Select all," or use it for programs that are not giving trouble. This is not an automatic tool. You must select the application and click "Remove" yourself. Good luck, and please post back with your progress.

6. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks, that did the trick.

7. 1101doc

1101doc

Cool Beans! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice