1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem install win2k

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flags, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

I just wanted to jump in here to get subscribed to this thread.

I'm having the same problem with installing 200 Pro on a custom machine.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread. It is difficult with one problem to know what has / has not been done. With two, it is impossible.

3. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

crj: Sorry about that.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

So . . what problem are you having?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. Post your exact specs and what problems / error msg you are getting when you try to do an install.

6. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Guys: I was hesitant to ask for help directly on this problem, because I work in a shop repairing PC's, and this is one that has me stumped. Since I am being paid for this, I didn't think it ethical to ask for help on a free forum.
    BUT since you asked, here's the dope.

Gateway machine, no model # on case that I can see.
    384 MB Ram PC133 SDRAM, 40 gig WD HDD, 250W. PSU,
    Athlon 950 MGHz processor, video card, sound card and Modem.

I cannot install Windows 2k on this machine. Customer supplied an OEM diskand had tried to install the OS but couldn't.
    I can get to where the install tells me that it is starting Windows, then nothing happens. I have let it set at that screen for 20 minutes but, nothing.

I have so far, Formated the disk, ran Memtest 86 for 45 minutes, no errors, ran WD Data Life Guard diagnostics, both Quick and Advanced tests-no errors on disk.

I'm stuck. What do I do now?
    Thanks for helping.

7. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot to mention that there are 4 capacitors on the mobo that are slightly bulged, 3 of which show signs of very slight leakage. Just brown dots on them.
    This is probably the problem.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . I think you found the problem! THe Optiplex series was plauged with this problem . . I think Dell is replacing the board if you want to go that way.

9. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Rich: It's not the Dell that I'm having the problem with. It's a Gateway. I hate to tell the guy he needs a new Mobo.
    I'm now running memtest on the 256 Ram stick (I took out the 128).
    I'm trying to isolate the problem. If the memory is good then it almost has to be the mobo.
    Such is life.
    Thanks for the help.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Sorry . . I got confused . . Gateway may not be as good about replacing the board . . I had one last month, and they offered a "deal" at $75 for an older board . . it was a short conversation

11. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Rich: I'm going to mark this thread, Solved. I will run memtest 86 for 4 hours and if there are no memory errors, I will retry the 2k install. If it fails we will have to discuss alternatives with the owner.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Hal

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

All the best . . (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice