1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem Installing java newest version after trojans

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hulagirl, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Hi There,

I had a trojan infection over the last week and think I got it all removed but when trying to update to the latest java update 14 it keeps erroring with #25099 saying it failed unzipping its core files. I've tried everything I feel comfortable doing, and probably never should have uninstalled previous versions since it seems like it's gone from bad to worse, and still the same error keeps appearing. I read that you just need to disable jqs quick start from running in the task manager. It isn't there but i know what that is and did see it running previously but after uninstalling the older versions it is not showing up anymore to disable it. I tried so many different ways to set options and enabling all add ons that pertained to sun microsystems and clearing caches but nothing is making it install. I don't want to make it any worse since I just got done with a major house cleaning after my trojan house guests and don't want to mess it up. I had like a dropper agent or downloader of some kind and they brought friends and family to stay, even their "Banker" if you know what I mean. But I think they are gone. But it won't take the update and I want to get on with my business. Can you help me direct me thru how to get this resolved? Java is not my expertise at all. I did try a restore to yesterday but it didn't change the files that had already been downloaded. I guess restore doesn't make it go back to that point in time as far as files on your system go. Please advise me how to go past the readily available help that is offered and find an effective solution. Thank you so much. Hulagirl :(
    My operating system is win xp pro sp3.

2. TOGG

TOGG

I'm not sure if your past infection(s) may have done something to make this impossible to solve but you could try the Autoruns program to get rid of the QS startup entries; http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/834601-problems-java.html

Your error message about unzipping could indicate that your problem is worse than the poster in the thread I linked to though. I believe Windows has some type of unzipping software built in but do you have a third party one such as WinZip?

3. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Hi,
    thanks for your response. I do have win zip.
    I ran autoruns like you said but did not find any qs entries. I found only the ssvhelper under the browser helper objects and unchecked that. I did not find anything indicating java on the current control set/services.

Is there any way to do that install in safe mode?
    thanks, hulagirl

4. TOGG

TOGG

Oh well, at least that proves that Java QS is not your problem since non existent Registry entries shouldn't interfere with anything!

Did you try searching the error message number on Sun Microsystems' site or Google? Some of those messages are so general it may not help, but it's worth a look if you haven't already done it.

I have seen a program called JavaRA recommended for removing remnants of old JRE's but I've never tried it myself so I don't know if it will help in your situation; http://raproducts.org/javara.html This isn't 'official' Sun software so I assume you use it at your own risk.

I have also seen it suggested that you could open up Explorer and delete any Java folders still on your hard drive. Clearly this is not a recommended method of uninstalling software, if only because of the traces that could be left in the Registry, but as you don't seem to have much, if any, of Java left on your system, any folders still in existence shouldn't be doing much good. Again, this is something I've never done but I have seen it recommended here as 'normal' procedure for updating Java.

5. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks again for your response. I ran the java ra program and it was working okay but then it too failed with an appcompat error and it shut down. I was able to install one version of the jre platform, and that version that works is: jre-6u3-windows-i586-p-s dot exe. Should I install that to a totally new program file and delete the entire previous file no matter what is in there since I've made many attempts at this. That way it can start absolutely from scratch with this installation of jre-6u3?. Then maybe try to update to the new version of 14? I'm not sure it will make a difference.

I didn't want to take the whole file that existed in the program files and dump it in case it
    needed some of the info in there. I downloaded the java update and the jre mentioned above to the desktop and then installed it so it had a different location. I don't know if that is helping or hurting it. But maybe I should delete the entire file that now sits in the program file and then try the installation again making a new program file for it?

What do you think? thanks for your help. Gabrielle

6. TOGG

TOGG

This is unknown territory for me so you may want to see if anyone else comes up with some better ideas!

My limited knowledge suggests that, if you have a working copy in a definite location, it probably shouldn't matter if you delete the folder containing your non working version from a different location. I do wonder though if the problems you are having with various programs could be a symptom of some leftover issues from your infection(s)?

You could try this tester; http://www.javatester.org/ Clicking on the box at the top of the page should confirm your current Java version while clicking on the orange 'Java Enabled?' box on the left of the page will confirm if your browser can run java applets. I don't recognise the details you gave of your working version but I do know that Version 6 Update 14 didn't contain any security updates so, if you can get 6 Update 13, you should be OK.

EDIT: It is not impossible to have several versions of the JRE installed and that was very common until the advice was changed and people were advised to remove old versions when they upgraded. Update 14 is supposed to be able to uninstall older versions as part of its installation routine.

7. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thank you very much for staying with me on this. I will try to download the previous versions. I think that is a good idea. Since one did work I will try the 13 version and hopefully that will work. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm not
    running internet explorer 8. I didn't really want IE8 so hopefully this will do the trick.

Thanks for your help. I'll post back after I try that.

hulagirl

8. TOGG

TOGG

IE8 is causing problems for some people (possibly more XP than Vista users) so there's no need to rush to install it, although you'll get it anyway unless you disable Automatic Updates.

9. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Hi Togg,

Guess what? I finally got java to install after hours of working on it.
    I finally went and did what you said to go back to the previous 13 however,
    update 13 still did not install, and gave me the same errors. I went back
    to update 7 and then went up to 11 and then 14 before it actually took it.
    I deleted the entire folder in the program files of java and made a new one
    and finally it installed. Yes!

You are right about IE8. It was installed by auto updates and when I
    realized things were different on my browser and I didn't like it, I went
    to Microsoft and was surprised to see it was a critical update rather
    than an optional one. I uninstalled it and turned off auto updates.

So my friend thank you for your help and your generous donation of
    time to give me feedback and advice as to what to do. I'm done and the
    computer is working really fast and furious. Now I will get some rest.

Have a great weekend and again, it is much appreciated.

Aloha,

hulagirl.

10. TOGG

TOGG

Good, perhaps the new install routine with Update 14 did the trick?

Now that you have joined the ranks of we rebels who want to decide for ourselves what gets installed, you will have to remember to visit the Windows Updates site every second Tuesday in the month and use the 'Custom' option to see what's being offerred.

You can check your current update status by visiting the Secunia Online Inspector after 'update day' ;http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ Not only does this check Windows patches but it also does the same for Sun Java, Flash and other common programs.

You can mark this 'Solved' by using the Thread Tools option.

EDIT: I should perhaps have made it clear that IE 8 is not essential for me because I don't use IE at all. IE 7 is installed on my computer because I can't get rid of it. I use Opera as my default browser and Firefox with the IETab addon to collect Windows updates. If you only use IE, there is a possibility that it might be (relatively) more secure than the older versions

11. hulagirl

hulagirl Thread Starter

Thank you, and you are right, I will do that. :eek:

This case is solved, and my computer is totally stable.

Whew, ... and now back to business. :rolleyes:

Aloha,

hulagirl

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice