Solved: Problem Installing Maxtor Drive Software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sidean

Hi Guys,

This is my first time here so I hope you can help me.

I recently purchased a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini remote drive and am having trouble installing the software.

When I insert the CD I expected it to load automatically as per the instructions.

However all I get is a list of the files on the disk.

There is a file called “autorun” which is a shortcut to MS-DOS.

Clicking this only brings up a black DOS screen. What command would run the programme?

I was looking for an .exe file somewhere. There are three but none of them apply.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sid

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Open that autorun in Notepad and it will show you what to run.
It is just a script file.

sidean

Thanks Dave, but pardon my ignorance, how do you do that?

I tried right clicking expecting to see something like "open with" but no!

Sid

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Open Notepad then use the File/Open dialogue

or (sneaky) rename it with a txt extension then it will open OK. Rename it back.

sidean

Hi Dave,

Well I’m going round in circles with this.

You say “Open Notepad then use the File/Open dialogue”

OK, I did that and I get My Doc. Screen with *.txt In the file name box – what then?

Or rename the file! Do you mean rename the file called “auto run” (which is a shortcut to MS-DOS.) which is the file (or whatever) on the disc.

I tried that but you can’t! System won’t allow it.

Let’s recap!

Normally, when you put in a disc to install a programme, it “auto runs”. This was anticipated as described in the instructions with the drive, and I quote “insert the disc and wait for the Maxtor screen to appear. Follow the instruction etc.

All I get a list of files on D:\

Often, if a disc won’t auto run, you can find and appropriate exe. file and that will install the programme, but as explained previously, there are only 3 exe. Files and none of them apply.

That file “auto run” which is nothing more than a short cut to MS-DOS I think is the key. So it appears to me that an appropriate command is required when DOS is opened.

But I would like to know why the disc doesn’t auto run. Could there be a setting in my system that is preventing this?

I would again be grateful of ypur input.

Sid

fairnooks

Banned
You might just have a corrupt CD too. If the software you are trying to install is here you could download that and try installing that instead.

sidean

Dave and Fairnooks, thank you for your assistance.

Finally got it installed after finding the software from the link you supplied Fairnooks. As suggested, I'm pretty sure that the CD was corrupt!!

Again my thanks (y)

Sid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online