1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem installing new motherboard!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GordRocks, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

My motherboard tanked on me and I'm replacing it. I'm installing an ASUS P4P800-E. With the new motherboard installed, if I have the computer lying on its side it will boot up, no problem. If I stand it up as it's supposed to be it will immediately lock up (sometimes after a few seconds) and I have to lay it down and reboot. It won't boot up at all if it's standing up. I don't even get to the Bios nor hear the Post Beep. I've tried clearing the CMOS, unplugging virtually everything from the board to see if something is causing it and I can't figure out what it is. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone give me a hint as to what is going on? TIA!

.....Gord

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You might have a screw behind the board. At any rate it sounds to me like when you stand it up it is grounding out to the case. You didn't drop any screws did you?

It might also just be that when it is standing up the case flexes just enough to ground you out. You might have to pull the board and reinstall it.:(

3. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thanks, Skivvywaver
    Okay, I pulled the board and examined it as carefully as I could. No screws out of place. I'm 99.9% sure it's not shorting out; :) never 100% sure of anything. I tried firing it up with the mobo lifted up and standing on end in the same orientation as it would be in the case and again it won't boot up. :( When I lay it down it works fine. I pulled the CPU and CPU fan to make sure they were in good and tight everything there is fine.

No idea what to try next. :confused: Anyone with any ideas please feel free to let me know. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!! It's 2:00 A.M. here and I have to get up early so I guess that's it for me for tonight. Look forward to any posts in the morning.

.....Gord

4. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Since nobody seems to have had this problem, has anyone heard of this before? If it's a loose component on the MOBO does anyone have any idea what component would cause this? Or are there too many things it could be? This is a new board; does ASUS have a good reputation for quality boards? Any hints, however small, would be greatly appreciated.

.....Gord

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I run Asus boards and have never even heard of this problem before. Asus are good boards right up there with Abit, just not as overclock friendly.

Is your power plug from your power supply maybe coming out on the top when you stand it up?

6. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

No, thanks for the suggestion but I've checked that. I just don't understand this at all! :confused:

.....Gord

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Me either. I am starting to think something on the board is loose. Can you exchange it? Outside the case there is no chance of it shorting.

8. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I'll talk to the guys I bought it from this afternoon and see what they have to say. They have a good reputation so I hope they won't be one of these outfits that say It's not our problem, you must have dropped it. I didn't but how do I prove it?!? :(

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to let me know.

Thanks, Skivvywaver, your help is much appreciated.

.....Gord

9. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Okay, it was definitely the motherboard and the guys at JohnWayne Computers in Red Deer were great. They took it back and I have a different board that seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for the help, Skivvywaver.

.....Gord

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice