1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem Installing WLAN Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BobbyZee, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobbyZee

BobbyZee Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I'm quite a "newbie" to computing and I guess you think I should know how to address this driver problem.

OS is running fine but when I had a look at "View Problem History" in Problem Reports And Solutions" dialogue box, it
    shows that in the past eight weeks my Dell WLAN mini card driver stopped working eight times and it recommends a driver
    update.

I have downloaded an updated version but the problem is that it will not install. Zip file extracts ok, message box states file
    already exists and asks whether I wish to overwrite file? Of the four options I'm given, I click on "yes to all".

The Installation Wizard then starts but eventually stops with a message stating that the installation was interupted and if
    I wish to retry. I think it has also asked me to retry by dbl. clicking Dell Download Mgr. Desktop Icon. Then, InstallShield
    Wizard appears, stating installation complete, trouble is, I'm not sure whether it really has, or there's something I'm not
    doing right! Device Mgr. shows current installed driver is working ok.

If somebody can offer me any advice at all, I would be extremely grateful.

BobbyZee

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    In Device Manager you should be able to see what version of the driver is currently installed and verify it's the same as, or older than, the version you've downloaded and attempted to install.

3. BobbyZee

BobbyZee Thread Starter

Many thanks for advice Gr3iz, didn't think of that!!
    In Device Mgr. driver is dated 12/10/2007 and release date of downloaded driver is 18/12/2007; the version number of both is the same.
    So to all intents and purposes, are they the same? Obviously if they are, I presume this would account for it not installing.
    Again, would be very grateful for your thoughts. Cheers, BobbyZee

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If the version is the same, it's likely that's the same driver and would explain why the "newer" one would not install.

5. BobbyZee

BobbyZee Thread Starter

Once again Gr3iz, many thanks for your help.
    Take care.

BobbyZee

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    No problem, Bobby. Good luck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice