Solved: PROBLEM: monitor continuously on standby (newly built pc)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

graeme101

Hi all
first of all
:cool: MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR :cool:
an nice problem for you to solve during christmas and new year ;)

right let me start you off with the pc spec

MOBO : Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF
CPU : P4 3.0GHZ HT
RAM: 4X 512mb DDR II
Hard Drive: 2X 250GB Maxtor Sata Drives
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-express

Right basically its a new build all parts and new and the computer starts up all fans on and can herehard drive etc But there is nothing on the screen its blank and after few seconds the monitor goes onto standby

when this first happen i though i may have a problem with other mobo i managed to get a new on (current one ^^^) and still same problem then thought it may have been a faulty graphics card (old mobo had no on board graphics and forgot that new one had) so sent it back and got a replacement , got it today and still same problem , the tried with on board graphics and stll same problem

i had a look on here and found a few people with the same problem and have not been solved:
also tried different monitor
minimal build
minimal buils outside case incase it was shorting

not too sure what else to try
all i can imaging is the power supply - currently using and old on 250W that does not have the addition 4 power pins - i mean it has the one that is on its own that goes to the motherboard but not the extra 4 one the bigger one :eek: sorry confusing - i hope you know what i mean

anyway also tried another 350W power supply that i can only guess is faulty as it will power pc for 5 seconds before turning off - (unless ive done something wrong)

this is really driving me mad now

any help would be great -
once again have a great christmas

If your power supply doesn't have the 4 pin +12V connector a P4 processor is not going to boot.

graeme101

hello again , i bought a new power supply but still no difference , it was a little cheap though , would someone be able to recomend one for me ?
also is there anything else that it may be

graeme101

i now bought a really good psu HIPER - AWARD WINNING HIPER 580W BLACK LABEL PSU

and guess what...
still same problem ;(

Have you at any time since putting together this system had any display on the monitor?

take the cpu out and boot the pc see if it beeps. Then take the video card out and see if it beeps. Then pull the ram out to see if it beeps. that will say the motherboard is working correctly.

When you tried the onboard graphics, did you remove the video card?
The onboard should disable itself if the video card is plugged in.
If the card has DVI out and VGA out, did you try both outputs?
Some default to the DVI out.
If it has TV out, have you tried hooking it to a TV.

Have you tried enabling VGA mode upon booting?

On page 19 of the manual, see the 4 pin connector at the upper left?? Per Win2KPRO's post earlier---Is it plugged in??

Also check the bios edition. There are 5 different 3.0 Pentiums. One of them needs bios version F4. Might just be the one that you have.

graeme101

Tahnk you all for your help , i solved the problem when starting to do what Bal3Wolf segested and took one of the memory sticks out and it worked so it was only a faulty stick of ram , although i still dont understand how that would have affected it
thanks for all your help , again :)
Happy new year to you all - just need to find out how to mark as solved :)

Glad you got it working. Proby cause of bad chip when motherboard did its check it see bad and just shutdown to keep anything from being dammaged.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online