1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem: new vista laptop connecting to xp desktop printer (via network)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cornbread1066, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cornbread1066

cornbread1066 Thread Starter

Problem: new vista laptop connecting to xp desktop printer (via network)
    OK, quick and to the point. The fast facts:
    1: new vista laptop
    2: have existing xp desktop w/ printer attached
    2a: note: 2 existing laptops (xp) working fine printing through the xp desktop through existing network (workgroup).
    3: positive the new vista laptop is correctly connected through wireless network which is connecting all computers on this network. (proof by way of accessing internet is fine.)
    4: renamed new vista laptop and also renamed the workgroup to 'existing' workgroup name given to all other computers on this network.
    5: rebooted vista laptop after renaming and assigning new workgroup name.
    6: when going through the 'add a printer' routine on the new vista laptop I have tried entering the \\printerhostcomputername\printername and even the \\printerhostcompuername\users\username\printername , and ALSO the 'network printer search' routine but nothing shows up??
    I've never had problems connecting with an XP laptop to the XP desktop (the printer host) before.
    So what am I missing with the Vista 'add a printer' routine???
    Help please!
    Thanks!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can the Vista and desktop ping each other by IP address? By computer name?

3. 0ri0n

0ri0n

Does your printer even support Vista?

What version of Vista do you have? Vista 32bit or Vista 64 bit

Do you have the correct updated printer driver for your version of Vista if your printer supports it?

4. cornbread1066

TerryNet: The XP desktop has NO success pinging the Vista laptop, however the V. Laptop does successfully ping the desktop.

Orion: 1) I verified that the printer does support Vista.
    2) The laptop is using Vista 32 bit.
    3) I downloaded and installed the latest driver from the manuf. website.

The printer is now working, but I still can't ping the V. laptop. Will that create other problems with the workgroup? Is it odd that I CAN see the laptop from the xp desktop in the "View Workgroup Computers" screen, yet I can't ping it?

Thanks guys!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It would be interesting to know what you did to successfully connect to the printer.

The problem pinging the laptop is probably caused by a non-Windows firewall on the Vista laptop.

6. cornbread1066

The only two things I actually did were the following:
    1) Upgraded the drivers to the printer.
    2) I renamed my work group from 'TEXT_TEXT_TEXT' to 'TEXT'.
    Why, you ask??
    I noticed when I tried to give the new V. laptop a computer name of 'blank_blank' it didn't like the underscore, so I used 'blank' instead.
    So, just as a wild guess I thought maybe the laptop didn't like underscores in the workgroup name either.

I can't say which corrected the problem, because I did both of these things before trying to connect to the printer again.

Thanks again for the help to both of you!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's always best to keep the computer names simple with no special characters. Is it working now?

8. cornbread1066

John, yes it's working.
    Thanks

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice