1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem - No Sound (except through cd player)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by denabear, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denabear

denabear Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Here's my story...

I was recently given a computer when my uncle got a newer one. It did not have a ethernet card so got that installed and everything seems to be working fine except there is no sound.

I can play cd's just fine but that's it. I did a search for previous sound problems and made sure that the volume control is not muted, all cords are plugged in and working, i checked the device manager and it shows Via AC97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) and that it is working properly, also there are no yellow ? or!

I am not sure where to start or check next. Oh, forgot to say that i've got windows 98SE installed. What other information do you need to make helping me a easier.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
    your time and effort is appreciated!
    :)D!

2. norton850

norton850

Hi

When you play audio CD's do you get sound from your speakers or just the CD drive headphone jack? When you've checked the volume control did you expand it to check all the settings or just the main volume?

3. denabear

denabear Thread Starter

The sound comes from the speakers, loud and clear :)
    Yes it was expanded to check all were not muted. Any other ideas i can check out? Like i said the sound works fine through the cd player but otherwise if you try to play a video or song from the computer you get nothing. Well if you turn the volume really high you can hear sort of static type sounds.

4. norton850

norton850

Under control panel open the sound and multimedia option (I'm at a Win2000 system and I know it's called something else in WinXP). Make sure that your sound card is chosen for Audio and that all the advanced options are appropriate.

5. denabear

denabear Thread Starter

I double checked and yes it is chosen for audio and the advanced options seem fine. Any other ideas? Anyone???

6. norton850

norton850

If you haven't done so already, uninstall the sound card from device manager, reboot and let windows refind it and then install the latest drivers.

7. denabear

denabear Thread Starter

WOW!! That was two days of hell. I tried to uninstall the card and it wouldn't let me. Everytime i tried my computer would freeze up. But i finally used my brain and started up in safe mode. everything went great and i've got my sound back!!

Thanks so much for your help!
    :) Dena

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice