1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Problem playing movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BigRed, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigRed

BigRed Thread Starter

My neighbor put some movies on discs for me to play. Nothing happens. I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion that is about 5 years old. Does any one know if this computer simply won't play them, or what could be wrong? I have Windows 98. I have no trouble playing a music CD and no problem with the discs that came with my Family Tree Maker program. I am very new to computers and know little about them. Just muddling along, here.
    BigRed

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The movies are probably on DVD or VCD discs. They require special drives to play them. If you have a standalone DVD player, try playing the movies in it.

3. BigRed

BigRed Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't have a DVD player, but I will get back with him and see what the disc is.

4. BigRed

BigRed Thread Starter

He said it is a plain CDR disc, and he recorded the movies as DATA. He used Nero software. He put the AVI files on it so I could watch them on Windows Media Player. He also put a couple of exe files on it. And when he looks at the disc on his computer the icons show up as these basic files. ( I am quoting him, as I don't really understand all this.)
    BigRed

5. MkO

MkO

Most .avi movies burned onto CDR's these days are in a format known as DivX.
    You'll need the software (codec) in order to play the movies in Media player. Go to www.divx.com and get it free. latest V. is 5.0*
    Comes packaged with its own player as well. Generally you'll need at least 8mb onboard your agp/pci video card to watch the movie. The divx player comes with options that allow for slower machines (min 400mhz). Good luck and happy viewing

6. spidy2002

spidy2002

if the avi is not compressed using divx codec,try using power DVD.
    it plays almost anything.

7. sunwatt

sunwatt

Hi - Im the neighbour who sent BigRed the CD.

She told me when she puts the CD in her tray the light comes on but nothing happens.

I got the CD back and tried it here, and it opens. I can view the files on the CD, and when I double click the AVI files WMP opens up and plays the movies.

I also included DivX and Nimo codex for her to install, plus regcleaner, which everyone needs. <grin>

I have made CD's for my older computer so I can watch movies in the living room via my monitor, and for other friends and the CD's always work.

I'm puzzled as to why her machine will not open my CD's.

My machine is a Compaq Presario 5000us, and using WindowsXP Pro.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sunwatt

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Are you both using the same version of WMP? If so, both should be able to play it. Have you (BigRed) tried running the files from My Computer, Run Menu and from File>Open in Windows Media Player?

9. sunwatt

sunwatt

Her CD player will not open my CD at all as I understand it.

It acts like its not a valid CD and cant open it to display the contents.

Like I said in my post, my old computer CD player can open it, and my friends computers never have a problem opening my CD's.

I've seen the problem with DivX, and the codex so I included those for her to install.

I even had WMP 7.1? (the latest version anyway) on the CD so she could upgrade but I dont think she can access the CD.

Her CD player opens other CD's, so this has us stumped.

Sunwatt

10. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

Is this on a cd-r or cd-rw? What kind of error message does she get when she puts the cd in her drive?

11. sunwatt

sunwatt

I'm using CDR's.

Here is the original email she sent me to report the problem.

"Got the cd and put it in. The light comes on by the slot and stays on a minute or two, then goes off and nothing else happens."

She says the light comes on and nothing happens. She didnt mention any error messages.

She tried it several times.

The CD that came with her printer, and all other CD's she has all open up with her CD player.

thanks

Sunwatt

12. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The CD just isnt autoplaying. It doesn't sound like she has tried manually opening it. Have her go to My COmputer And click on her cd drive. The light turns off when the CD is ready to be used.

13. sunwatt

sunwatt

Thank you... I just emailed her about this... we will let you know.

Thanks again Sunwatt

14. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

If you want it to autoplay when someone puts it in the drive follow these steps.

Create A File In Notepad
    Type:

[AutoRun]
    OPEN=abcdefg.avi

Where abcdefg.avi is the file on the cd you want to run
    Save the file as autorun.inf as "All Files" (not text). Burn this file onto the cd next time.

15. BigRed

BigRed Thread Starter

Thank you! Going into My Computer and clicking on the drive worked. I appreciate all of you taking time to help me.
    BigRed;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/88184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice