Solved: Problem reinstalling XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kuipo

Hi

I'm having this problem with a computer im trying to fix for a friend of mine, she had XP, but she wanted me to format it, so i took and saw she had like 4 partitions, with different OS, like gnome and other linux, and XP professional. Now the problem is that she can't find the cd of the OS, so i got this cd from a friend, and i erased all the partitions, and installed windows, waiting for windows to ask me the cd key, but it never did and installed, and then asked me to activate, when i saw the key, it was a strange one, so i clicked in activate by phone and change product key, to put her cd key, but it told me the key was incorrect, so i thought that maybe the cd had an embedded key, so i got another from a friend, he told me he had already used it and it asks for the key, so i used it, and same problem, it keeps giving itself a cd key, and once again i tried to change it and it told me it was incorrect, so i took my XP cd, the one that came with my hp, and when i put it, in the point where it says:

Press any key to boot from the cd . . . .

and it gives you like 4 seconds to press any key, so i did it and nothing happens, as if i hadn't pressed any key, and then it boots to XP, so i tried the cd in other computer and it indeed gave me time to press a key and launch the installation, so i thought maybe de keyboard wasn't well or something, but i tried the other cd and it did allow me to press the key and then started installing everything, so i really need help with this problem, any kind of help is welcomed, just as extra info, i formatted the hard drive as a slave in other computer, because i thought maybe it had a hidden partition that is assigning cd keys randomly.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Unless you're using the 25-digit product code that came with that computer(which should be on a sticker on the case or on the manual that came with it), I don't think you're going to get any help on this forum.

You're openly admitting to using product codes from other computers, so don't be surprised if a Moderator closes this thread.:rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you are doing is a bit not correct. The windows cd yoou are trying to use on this computer what computer manufacturer is it from? Compaq, Dell or who?

Anyway it mopre than likely will not work correctly anyway. If it does start running it will be illegal or someone's computer will be illegal and when Microsoft picks it up look out.

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

kuipo

It's a custom pc, but she has the product key, an original one, she's just missing the cd so i tried using other cd's, but the first one, is an hp cd, from a friend, wich he borrowed to me, the second one i tried, was a microsoft cd, not one that comes with a computer, it also gives me a key automatically, its a burned cd, i don't know how my friend got it, but i think that as long as im using an original key, im not doing any bad things, but the third cd that i tried, is one i have, the one that came with my hp, and that one doesn't even run it stucks where it says:

press any key to boot from the cd...

it does as if i don't press any key and loads directly to windows, im really desperate and need help :(

The CD's that don't ask for the product key when installing Windows are OEM CD's; the product key is scripted into the installation routine by the OEM. Windows will activate with no problem because it's the right product key for the right machine. Retail CD's ask for the product key during installation, and in my experience, they will only accept their own product key.
If the owner of the PC you're working on can't find the O/S CD, her only option is to buy another one. An upgrade CD will ask for proof (insert a CD in the drive) of a previous version of Windows before it will complete an installation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online