1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem renaming files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Johnnyb23, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnnyb23

Johnnyb23 Thread Starter

Hi, I hope you can help me. Yesterday I noticed a strange problem occuring when I try to rename files. I get a message saying "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

If i click yes, it converts the file into some unusable file that i can't open.

I thought the problem may have been caused by a program I tried called CCleaner, which includes a registry cleaner. However, I kept backups of the deleted registry entries, and restored them when I noticed this problem. But that failed to solve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Some system spec's would be very help ful especially the version of Windows you are running?

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When you are doing the rename, are you renaming the NAME or the EXTENSION?

EG: For a file called mydocument.doc, are you trying to change the mydocument or the doc

If you change the DOC, windows will warn you to make sure you know what you are doing. and in this case, if you changed the DOC to XYZ it would no longer open, since windows does't know what program to use to open files with an extension of XYZ.

4. Johnnyb23

Johnnyb23 Thread Starter

I'm running windows Xp with service pack 2. What else do you need to know? :confused:

Here's an actual example. I tried to rename a photo called CSL1024_.jpg
    I wanted to rename the photo, not to change the file type. I have had the computer for a year, and this always worked normally until yesterday...

All i'm doing is right-clicking on the file, and clicking rename... :(

5. jr6300

jr6300

Rename it such as "mypic.jpg" Don't change the extension (or the part after the dot) as mentioned above.

If you did change the extensions or removed them from othe pic files, just add the .jpg back on the end & it will work fine again.

6. jr6300

jr6300

Oh, you can also rename a file by what I call a hesitated LH click. LH click the file once, then wait just a bit longer than a "normal" LH Dbl click & LH click again.......same difference as rename.

7. Johnnyb23

Johnnyb23 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. That helps a great deal. (y)

But I'm curious. Why do I have to do it manually now, when it always happened automatically until yesterday? Could CCleaner have messed up Windows? And how can I put things back to normal? :confused:

8. jr6300

jr6300

It's quite possible you had your settings in tools set to hide extensions before.

9. Johnnyb23

Johnnyb23 Thread Starter

A-ha! That sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure AOL's Active Security Monitor advised me to do that. ;)

Thanks very much! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about! (y)

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Up until yesterday, when you looked at a graphic file, did it look like CSL1024_.jpg or CSL1024_. IE: the extension was hidden and you were only changing the name.

If the JPG is showing, then after changing the name, ensure that the .JPG is at the end

11. jr6300

jr6300

I like to see my extensions, but if you don't want to worry about changing the file w/o changing the extension, go to Tools*Folder Options*View & place a check beside "Hide file extensions for know file types".

Then you won't change the extension by changing the full name of the file.

12. Johnnyb23

Johnnyb23 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. :cool:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!