1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: problem running certian programs/utilities

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by leep84, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leep84

leep84 Thread Starter

Okay im quite a beginner to computers so i need some assistance and heres what has happened: im on windows vista ultimate,i have been on the internet for a few months now and then it started to slow down for example when im watching videos on youtube they would play for about 15 secs then start buffering/streaming for then play for 15 secs again and so on, which made it hard to watch owt and did my head in.i was surprised because everything played perfect up until then,so i run a virus scan with the free version of avg ive got and it found 2 spyware viruses, removed and healed them, but the problem continued. ive got a program called tune up utilities 2009 on my computer so i thought i would give that a try, it found and corrected a lot things and freed some more space on my hard drive, but ever since ive used it, whenever i click on it now it just says :this service does not exist as an installed service,it says the same when i click on add hardware in the control panel, it says the same when i click on disk defrag, and a lot of other things i click on it just keeps saying: this service does not exist as an installed service, whereas it didnt say that before i used the tune up utilities,it is as if it has deleted things it shouldnt have or summat, can anyone please help me resolve this situation PLEASE!? :confused:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. leep84

leep84 Thread Starter

when i try system restore it says: C:\Windows\System\rstrui.exe the specified service does not exist as an installed service,where can i find the back ups tune up utilities might have created,and by operating system do you mean reinstall windows,if not how do you re-install the operating system please? and if all else fails formatting it and re-installing windows should work shouldnt it?

4. Phantom010

Yes, formatting and reinstalling Windows will fix it. The damage done by the program may be too extensive to do anything else.

Do you have the Windows Vista CD?

How to Format and Reinstall Windows Vista

5. leep84

leep84 Thread Starter

i dont have a vista cd at the moment but ive got unlimited downloads and could download a version and put it on disk. if i do download a version would i get the id code with it ( i think its called id code) its the number u have to type in when installing windows that u get with an original disk. or would i have to download it seperate, and what is the best site to download a version of windows from, i usually get all my downloads from bt junkie, would that be ok? and by the way thanks for your information its really coming in very usefull and after ive got a reply from this i think ill know enough to solve my problem, thanks

6. Phantom010

We can't help you with illegal pirated copies of operating systems. I suggest getting a legit copy. Torrents will not be legal versions and may contain malware.

7. leep84

leep84 Thread Starter

oh sorry,i honestly never knew downloading torrents like that was illegal,all this is literally new to me you see and im a bit of a dummie with it all. i will bear that in mind and get a legit copy.i thought there would be better restrictions on illegal operations on the net like that or it would be better explained that if you do so you are breaking the law. im glad youve told me that, at least i know now thanks

8. leep84

leep84 Thread Starter

got myself a windows cd now and re installed it and everything is working ok now thanks

9. Phantom010

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice