1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem setting up dual graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCuser2, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCuser2

PCuser2 Thread Starter

I have a pc with the following specs:

ACER P5N-D Motherboard
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    1 TB 7200 HDD
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Matrox M912 quad VGA video card running 4 monitors.

at work i work on huge excel sheets and i would like to add a second matrox M912 video card and double the monitor count to 8. i already bought and set up the monitors and tried (unsuccessfully) to install a second matrox m912 video card. i attached a picture of the monitor setup i am trying to get to work. i could not figure out how to get the computer to recognize the second video card so i downloaded the user manual for the motherboard and while i am not sure, i think that the second video card wont work because this motherboard will only support dual graphics cards if they are both SLI-ready which i am pretty certain the matrox M912 is not. My question is this:

1) is there a way to get the two video cards i already have to work?
    2)if not does anyone have any suggestions about what video cards would work? i dont need to game or anything thic pc is mainly used for excel.
    3) i was also thinking that since this is an older PC it might be cheaper (if kind of a pain) to get a different motherboard that would support two matrox m912 video cards and i could just swap over all of the components and sell my current motherboard. does anyone have any suggestions as to a motherboard that would work for this?
    thanks in advance for the help

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SLI is for gaming, you want SLI off if you want to use multiple graphics card independently for multiple monitors.

Does the second graphics card show up in Device Manager?

Have you tried the new card in place of the old card to see if it works or if its faulty?

3. PCuser2

PCuser2 Thread Starter

THANKS A LOT! it appears that the new video card i bought was defective. i feel stupid for not checking that before posting on here. i put in a random extra video card and was able to get it to work with my first Matrox card so i know 2 cards can work at the same time. i just need to get a replacement for my second Matrox card and i should be good to go. thanks for the quick reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice