1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem upgrading from 4gb to 8gb RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Larkru, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Good morning.

Upgrading my Toshiba A665-S5179 from 4gb to 8gb RAM. Purchased 2 new 4gb sticks as upgrade set from Crucial (Micron).

Powered off and removed battery. Changed out RAM (4gb = 2 sticks of 2gb to 8gb = 2 sticks of 4gb). Powered up..got Toshiba flash screen and then cursor in upper right corner of screen. Nothing more. Checked for proper seating of sticks. AOK. Repeated procedure with same results. Called Crucial and began following their directions.

Tested each 4gb stick alone first in slot 1, then slot 2. No response. Their next suggestion was to check if my display drivers were up to date. I was a little worried about this process since I've never done it and not sure what would happen if I did it incorrectly. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

I was also told to see if my BIOS was up-to-date. Went to Toshiba site and downloaded latest BIOS (published in 2012). Tried running from Windows. Message indicated my BIOS was already up-to-date.

Finally, if none of the above worked, Crucial will replace the purchased memory or give me a refund. I really would like the upgrade.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Does the machine work if you put the original 2x 2Gb sticks back in? If yes, then the problem is most likely that the new sticks are faulty / a compatiblity issue.

For confirmation, is this your laptop?

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2858761

Exactly which model of RAM did you get from Crucial? Did you use their only system to advise you the right ones?

Its unlikely to be associated with the display drivers as, based on your description, the problem occurs before Windows even starts so the installed drivers haven't even been loaded at that point.

3. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    The laptop is mine and works just fine with the 2-2gb Samsung RAM that came with the Laptop. Thanks for the info about the display drivers.

Yes, I did use their online guide to buying RAM for this laptop and this was the only 8gb option. The laptop and RAM are at work so I'm not quite sure of the brand, but the packing slip indicated it came from Micron.

The CSR told me if all else fails to return the RAM for replacement or refund. Guess I'll be doing that today.

I appreciate your help.

Larry

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. Larkru

Larkru Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thank you. I will make sure the CSR at Crucial has this information before replacing my memory.
    Larry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice