1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem upgrading from dot-net 1.1 to 2.2 or 3.5

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I really don't understand much about dot-net; but, I am up against a real problem running a certain program that is currently using dot-net 1.1. I won't mention the program by name as I don't want to side-track the thread into troubleshooting a particular Windows App.

Tech support said that an error message we were getting indicated a dot-net problem. He suggested his program should run on dot-net 1.1, 2.2 or 3.5. He further suggested to try uninstalling and reinstalling 1.1, which I did to no avail. Problem is when I try to install 2.2 or 3.5, I get an error message saying there is no qualifying product on my system for the "upgrade".

So, how do I get 2.2 or 3.5 to install. I've read a dozen ambiguous and unclear web pages and tried downloading and installing four of what I thought was the dot-net installer.

Windows XP SP3 and all available updates. This is a freshly formatted and installed system that has not been on the 'net except for updates running on an older Dell socket 478 with Celeron 2.8-GHz processor and 512 RAM.

2. Alex Ethridge

Really? Not even one response?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Alex:

Go here to read about the NET Framework cleanup tool.

If you decide to use it to remove the remnants left behind from the previous failed installs/uninstalls, download and save it.

Close all open windows first, then run it.

After you've run it and restarted your computer, go to the Windows Updates site and do a custom scan instead of an express scan.

If all goes well, NET Framework will appear in the optional software list for you to select and download and install.

If that doesn't work, you can go here to download and save the NET Framework 3.5 setup file.

Close all open windows first, then run it.

If all goes well, it'll install versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 in your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I discovered awhile back that the install of NET Framework 3.5 also installs versions 2.0 and 3.0 in my XP computers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the replies. With your help, I finally got dot-net installed. However, the result with the program was the same, even after another clean install of Windows XP Pro.

The program was QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition 2007 and the problem is that it would abort opening the company file, sometimes with an error message and number and sometimes just completely disappear from the screen.

The computer did all other operations well -- MS Office 2003, IE7 and 8, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro and others. After beating my head against a wall for a week of off and on troubleshooting, I saw swollen capacitors on the main board. End of story.

Thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice