1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem viewing JPG file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by wolfworx, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Recently. a friend sent me several photos, as email attachments, aparently in JPG format. I could not read them on both my xp and Vista machines using three different graphic viewers. I returned saved copies of the file as attachments to the original sender who replied he could read them perfectly. Several friends were unable to read them, but one responded as follows:

"I can open it in Photoshop Elements. So I resaved it (again to jpg) and attached it here.
    Wouldn't open in my normal photo utility which is strange, since it's only a jpg file."

I could view the file he returned

Opening some of the original attachments in notepad, I could read some of the tagging information which indicated it was taken with a Kodak digital camera and associated with Adobe Photoshop Elements an saved on a Mac. I do not have Photoshop Elements so I could not convert to a conventional jpg file.

Can anyone provide more incite to this problem?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I doubt they were JPG files. You said "aparently in JPG format". What is the exact format?

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I dunno. Perhaps the image was manipulated in Adobe Photoshop (to crop it), and then saved as a jpg to reduce the size. A friend could only open it because he defaults to Photoshop and cannot open in Windows Photo Viewer. I use Paint Shop Pro for most of my graphic work and re-size, crop and do several other modifications to my images without problems. Coud the Mac computer of the originator be a factor?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Check the original files. What file type are they?

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

The originator of the graphic cannot help very much. All she knows is that she took it on her digital camera and loaded it into her Mac and sent as a JPG file. It looks like people with Photoshop can read it but others just get "File cannot be identified as a supported type."

Interesting that Photoshop can open it and re-save it to a JPG that is more "universally" readable.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

But you have a copy of the original files that you said you couldn't open. What file type are they??

7. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I found an old copy of Photoshop and installed on one of my computers. It proves true. I can open the images in Photoshop and re-save as a JPG that can be opened in other graphic programs.

The person who sent the files could not explain what she done after getting them from her digital camera so I can only assume that the original files were in a non-JPG format and simply renamed to JPG and sent to me without real conversion to JPG. That might explain the problem.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Okay. I'll try one more time. What file format are the files in that were originally sent to you?

9. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

As I have indicated previously, I have no idea. They had a jpg extension, but could only be opened in Photoshop. Since the person who took the photos and sent them to me lacks computer expertise, I could gleen little more information.

I did examine to tag text on the unreadable files and was able to read the following:

EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK DX3900 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 Macintosh 2010:04:15 11:43:58

Inputs fro you and many friends have been helpful in finding a solution to the problem i.e. using Photoshop.

Although there is still a mystery here, I must thank you all for your suggestions and consider the problem solved.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's what I was asking. I've not heard of a JPG file that can only be opened with a specific program. I still suspect that they're not actually JPG files. Perhaps your friend just changed the extension. JPG files should be universal.

11. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

My thoughts as well.

BTW another friend was able to open the images with Microsoft Picture Manager. I do not have that software on my system, so I have not verified. I can, however, open all six in Photoshop and save as true JPGs.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no "true JPG" format. It's one format. It sounds like perhaps you just don't have software installed to open picture files. I recommend Irfanview.

13. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Huh??? I have several good viewer and editor image software including Paint Shop Pro (my favorite), FreshView, Paint, MS Photogallery, SoftDepo Image Viewer, and now Photoshop. Do I need another one?

And sorry about my misuse of the word "true". What I was referring to is a file that has the JPG extension and IS a JPG file, not something else disguised as a JPG file, as my problem ones appear to be, if you follow my meaning. Anyway, the false JPG extension (may I use "false" here?) seems to be understood by Photoshop, but not most other image viewing progs..

Oh well, this is certainly not the first compatibility problem I have encountered in my many years of computer use, and I doubt it will be the last.

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's clearly something about the files we don't know. I've never heard of a standard JPG file that can only be opened with Adobe PhotoShop. JPG, as far as I know, is a standard compression algorithm.

15. moper

moper

I believe it has to do with the way Macs' save files. They add application and file name info to a 'resource fork' of the file itself. Also, some Preview information.

In Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 Macintosh, the program that was used to open it on the Mac, there is probably 'Save' options in the Preferences.

Any Mac Photoshop users here, to verify this?

moper

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!