Solved: Problem with a New build

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flags

Hi all: I just put together a new system today, powered it up, checked the Bios and made one or two insignificant changes (FSB from 100 to 166) Bios recognizes HDD, Floppy, DVD R/w etc.
I am using an Athlon XP 2500 Barton, M7NCD Pro mobo ( both used) New 64 MB nVidia video card,, 2 sticks of new PC2700 Ram, Thermaltake TR2 430 W. PSU, and Thermaltake TR 2-M3 CPU cooler.
Got it all set up, inserted the XP Disk and fired it up. Installation started fine.
It ran abour 3 minutes and shut off.
I checked everything for loose whatever and couldn't find anything wrong so I started it again. It ran 3 minutes and shut off. It passes the sniff test, all the components are cool to the touch, doesn't seem to be any overheating.
Where do I begin to fix this thing?

Flags

wally: I can and will. But I was hoping that there was something else I should try before swapping PSU's.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Check the temps in the BIOS. Cool to the touch means anything. If the heatsink wasn't making good contact it'd still be cool and the processor could be burning up.

Flags

Triple six: Bios said temp was 57 deg. C. Good point however. I will check further.
Anything else?

57C is not way too high for an Athlon XP, it's above average but pretty normal. My overclocked Athlon XP 2800+ sometimes hits 70C while gaming. I turn my CPU fan speed up and it soon settles down again, never had my computer automatically shut off though.

The problem does sound like heat though. Are you sure you haven't accidently overclocked your CPU? I may be mistaken but I thought the 2500+ ran at 133FSB (266).

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You think 57 degrees is not too high when sitting in the BIOS and computer doesn't run for more then 3 minutes? I think it is.

My computer idles around 50-60C too and it has never shutdown or restarted unless I've told it too.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Roblobob said:
My computer idles around 50-60C too and it has never shutdown or restarted unless I've told it too.
Good for you. But this isn't about you now is it. Let the poster check his setup and see if it is or isn't the problem and then we can move on.

Flags

Well, I swapped out the PSU. Put in my Antec 430 True Power and the same thing happens.
Triple six: When the PC shuts down i wait about 1 minute and turn it back on. The temp is around 56. So I don't think that high temps are the cause--could be. I'm stumped.
The memory (2x256 dual channel) is new and was of the type specified for this mobo.
Bad CPU-Bad Mobo? Both are used but supposed to have been in Working order.
Could the new Video card have something to do with this?

Flags

Roblobob: I has set the FSB at 166 and then got to thinking about that and reset it back to Default (100) I"ll check it out.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The XP2500+ should be running on the 166Mhz FSB(333Mhz effective), but do give it a try on 100 and see what happens.

And are you saying that as soon as you turn it on the temp is at 56 degrees Celsuis or it only hits 56 after its been running for a while?

Flags

Tsix: Just checked FSB it's set at 133.
Darn! I hate to dismantle the h/s fan/CPU . I used the stock thermal pad and I'll have to clean that off and use some Thermal paste.
What do I use to clean everything up?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online