1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with audio - it disappears and is replaced by buzzing noise at random

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by caveman93, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caveman93

caveman93 Thread Starter

Hello, the problem i have is peculiar. I tried googling it, but i had problems describing the problem, so i will try to do that here. I hope that someone will be able to help me.
    Recently i decided to upgrade my CPU so i had to replace the mobo as well. After reinstalling windows 7 everything seemed to work fine for a week or so and then one morning when i started the computer i noticed that all sound was replaced by buzzing. Constant buzzing noise coming from my headphones. I thought that my headphones were broken.. so i pulled the headphones from my Z-2300 audio jack and the same sound came from my logitech speakers. I then tested the speakers on my laptop - everything worked. So the speakers nor the headphones are not the culprits. So i restarted my computer and i was so happy when i heard the windows startup sound, but soon after when i went to youtube i noticed something very weird. Some bits of a song that was playing went quiet.. so the problem persisted. As i listened to the track i noticed that the sound came back at random times for a while and then went to buzzing/static noise. The way the audio disappears is very strange, the audio starts to disappear from the left speaker and then it disappears from the right speaker and gets replaced by buzzing noise which isn't very loud.
    I thought that maybe it's some kind of adobe flash problem, because moving my mouse on the music video sometimes managed to get the audio working again, but i have concluded that it might have been a coincidence. Nothing i do can stop it once it happens, it's very random in nature and sometimes moves from one speaker to another.
    I then updated all the drivers, even BIOS, replaced some mobo drivers with realtek ones. Once there was nothing to upgrade i decided to start uninstalling programs and drivers that might cause this kind of behaviour but i am out of ideas.

My computer:
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
    Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
    Z97 - PC Mate motherboard
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti
    4GB of RAM (i had faulty ram when i bought 2 sticks, so 1 stick is sent back for a replacement) - could this be the cause? having one faulty memory stick during windows installation?

I'm thinking that it must be a driver/software issue, because the audio seems to work just fine at times, but i'm not sure i know how to diagnose these kinds of problems.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like the audio chipset is faulty/failing. You could try using a different audio port (ie: front panel, rear panel, digital optical, digital coaxial, etc.), just to rule out a port issue.

3. caveman93

caveman93 Thread Starter

So after a month i finally got my problems sorted out. The motherboard was indeed faulty and was taken back to MSI, it was replaced by another one that functioned properly. Although there was a lesson to be learned. After receiving the new mobo i was quite tired of driving between the shop and my home. It had been like 2-3 weeks since i turned the mobo in. So when i got the new mobo i started putting it all together. It was quite late and i was rushing to get it working. I connected all the wires like they should be, but nothing happened when i pressed the ON button. I was devastated. I immediately started diagnosing.. checking the mobo front jack connection charts.. removing components.. everything seemed okay. So it must have been a faulty PSU, right? Did the paperclip test and it worked.. Tried starting the computer with only CPU, RAM and a screwdriver.. connected the right pins - NOTHING. So i quit - took it all apart and took it back, saying it was another faulty mobo and i want my money back. Where i live, they have the right to send items back 3 times before they have to refund the money. So the mobo went away for a week and all they did was upgrade BIOS, saying that maybe my processor wasn't recognized. When i got home and started putting it all together again i immediately realized my mistake - i had connected all the front panel wires to JUSB1 instead of JFP1. I even used screwdriver multiple times to connect the "right" pins on JUSB1.. LOL. This time everything worked brilliantly, i was also very lucky to not have messed anything up whilst connecting the pins with screwdriver. Probably because i was stupid enough to never reach the M/B power pins. Moral of the story - don't do stuff when extremely tired. You could be missing some important details!

Problem SOLVED.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Happens to all of us. Glad you figured it out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice