(Solved) problem with CD & Floppy icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cmacg

i have a problem with my desktop icons - namely CD and Floppy icons do not work - refer to attachment to see the dialog box when we engage the respective icons

Attachments

dai

go into my computer right click on them and create a new shortcut and delete the old ones

Hello Dai
I have been to Cmacgs place to give him a hand with this, and thats the problem, the new shortcuts do not work either.

Hello, for convenience I thought I would try this as well, opened
MyComputer and right clicked floppy and CD and it said it would place shortcuts on desktop, when I clicked on the shortcuts on desktop I got the same response. :eek:

I found this with google: http://www.readytorun.com.au/start/newstips/driveshortcutproblem.htm

The problem that caused this issue was the:

Windows XP Hotfix - KB821557 (5.1Mb)
Link to what the Hotfix does (Microsoft Knowledgebase)

The solution at the moment is to uninstall this Hotfix until a new one is released.

To do this follow these steps...

Click the Start Menu Button
Select Settings -> Control Panel
Select Add/Remove Programs
Scroll down to "Windows XP Hotfix KB821557"
Click Remove
At the Removal Wizard, Click Next
If prompted with a list of programs and a message stating that the programs on the list may not work... write down the list of programs and then click [YES]
Then when prompted, click [Finish]
The machine will restart and the problem will be fixed.

cmacg

Thanks folks, problem solved. I did find it a bit unnerving seeing the note that says 1/2 a dozen programs may not work if you uninstall this patch.
I wonder how long it will take MS to come up with a patch for the patch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online