1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with desktop, regarding shortcuts/folders.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vanderhaven, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vanderhaven

vanderhaven Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running on Windows XP Proffesional SP2. I just started having this problem after I restarted my computer and I don't know how they started. I believe it is multiple problems. First off when I double left click a program on the desktop it doesn't start it. Instead it goes directly to the properties window. To start the program, I found out, you have to right click it and select open. This goes with every program, even on the control panel, you have to right click and select open or it will say no properties for this type.

Next, is the keyboard. When I do get into the internet and try to type, it won't let me. Instead of typing, when I click a certain letter, a menu comes up on the browser. Such as P for page F for File and so on.

*Note* I have tried System Restore several times, but to no avail.

Thank you for your guy's help.

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

I have seen this type of problem being caused by a keyboard going bad.

Note, that this does not mean the keyboard is your problem.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Definitely sounds like a stuck key (ALT, maybe?). Try another keyboard.

As for the files not opening on click, that could be the kb, too, but you could try this fix, just in case:

File/Folder Open Fix

4. vanderhaven

vanderhaven Thread Starter

I downloaded a program called Keyboard Test, which you can test each key. I did so, and found that all the keys are working correctly with no Alt or Ctrl addition.

So the problem isn't the keyboard.

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Have you checked the settings in the Mouse control panel

6. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

7. tecknomage

tecknomage

Ah, keyboard testers will not find the kind of problem your symptoms indicate. They can only test if a key works or not.

Just borrow a known working keyboard from a friend and see what happens. This is the best and fastest way to eliminate the keyboard as a problem.

But note, that does not check the mouse. Mice can also cause these problems, it IS another input-device.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice