Solved: Problem with desktop, regarding shortcuts/folders.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vanderhaven

Hello,

I am running on Windows XP Proffesional SP2. I just started having this problem after I restarted my computer and I don't know how they started. I believe it is multiple problems. First off when I double left click a program on the desktop it doesn't start it. Instead it goes directly to the properties window. To start the program, I found out, you have to right click it and select open. This goes with every program, even on the control panel, you have to right click and select open or it will say no properties for this type.

Next, is the keyboard. When I do get into the internet and try to type, it won't let me. Instead of typing, when I click a certain letter, a menu comes up on the browser. Such as P for page F for File and so on.

*Note* I have tried System Restore several times, but to no avail.

Thank you for your guy's help.

I have seen this type of problem being caused by a keyboard going bad.

Note, that this does not mean the keyboard is your problem.

Definitely sounds like a stuck key (ALT, maybe?). Try another keyboard.

As for the files not opening on click, that could be the kb, too, but you could try this fix, just in case:

File/Folder Open Fix

vanderhaven

I downloaded a program called Keyboard Test, which you can test each key. I did so, and found that all the keys are working correctly with no Alt or Ctrl addition.

So the problem isn't the keyboard.

vanderhaven said:
I downloaded a program called Keyboard Test, which you can test each key. I did so, and found that all the keys are working correctly with no Alt or Ctrl addition.

So the problem isn't the keyboard.
Ah, keyboard testers will not find the kind of problem your symptoms indicate. They can only test if a key works or not.

Just borrow a known working keyboard from a friend and see what happens. This is the best and fastest way to eliminate the keyboard as a problem.

But note, that does not check the mouse. Mice can also cause these problems, it IS another input-device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts