1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with display driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kirtism, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

Hello,
    Not sure if this is the proper thread to post this in, but here's my problem.
    Running Windows XP Pro SP3 on a custom laptop.
    So, basically I was having problems with my video drivers and uninstalled them. (Ati Radeon 9600/9700 Series) I had the windows default (VGA drivers?) running but somehow I disabled them. So what I have now is the computer boots up properly but after the Windows splash screen loads, I have a completely black screen. I can hear the windows startup sounds, so I know Windows is loading and the systems running, but with no video drivers running, I obviously can't see anything. Tried running from safemode but seems to "lock up". Tried VGA mode, but the same blank screen/windows loading thing happends.

Alas, since its a friends old laptop, I do not have the original windows CD or drivers for the computer.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Miggs

Miggs

Try "Last Known Good Configuration" instead of safe mode.

3. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

Yeah, forgot to mention I tried that as well. Same thing happends with the blank screen but windows still loading. Sorry for the omission =/

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Post make and model of laptop please, as LKG Configuration was not going to work

With the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you can recover from configuration problems such as newly installed drivers that may be incorrect for your computer's hardware. It does not correct problems that are caused by missing or corrupted drivers or files.
    The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time that you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Therefore, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully before you restore your computer by using the last known good configuration

5. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

I wish I could. It was built from a custom site (ibuypower.com) And since it was a friends old laptop, I'm not exactly sure what hardware is in it =/
    I appologize for being difficult, but I think my question would be, does anyone know how/if you can load/enable the windows default display driver from a command line before windows loads....or something to that effect. =/

6. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

The only thing I can really tell you is the video card is an ATi Radeon 9600/9700 series, and I believe a Toshiba motherboard. But I couldnt tell you what model =(

7. Miggs

Miggs

Try "Safe mode Command Prompt"
    Then chkdsk /r

8. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

9. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

When I run Safe Mode with Command Prompt it seems to run a list of the drivers on my system and then locks up. Also, from what I know of chkdsk, all that would do is fix any corrupt/missing files on the hard drive and wouldn't help with loading the drivers....

10. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

I believe it was from Display Settings > Advanced

11. blues_harp28

Almost impossible to turn off VGA drivers - as they are reinstalled with Windows.
    And with a reboot Windows will usually run using the VGA.
    Can you explain - what you mean by turning them off?

Your black screen may be unrelated.

12. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It is a long shot, but worth a try
    1) unplug the laptop
    2) remove the battery
    3) hold down the power button for about 2 minutes
    4) then put the battery back in
    5) start it up..

13. blues_harp28

I should have asked - did you enter the Bios and disable it there?
    If yes - enter the Bios and enable the VGA.

14. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

Ok, I was having problems specifically with the video drivers for the ATi. Whether they were corrupt, or what Im not sure. So windows went to a default driver (i assume). Not sure if it was specifically the VGA drivers since I could get a resolution of 1024x768 with true color. I assume they weren't VGA since the highest res that goes is 640x480. Anyway, when I tried redownloading the ATi drivers for my card and installing them, I disabled (what must have been) the default driver it was using...So now I can't get my system to run under the VGA drivers and all others are disabled.

15. kirtism

kirtism Thread Starter

Went into Bios and found a little more info on my hardware if its any help.
    Processor type: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
    Memory: 1024MB
    BIOS Version 1.03
    KBC Version 1.01
    Primary IDE Master Hard Disk: Toshiba Mk1032GAX (thought that was the motherboard, guess it was the hard drive >_<)

also, I did not disable VGA from bios, so if it is disabled, not sure how to re-enable it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice