Solved: Problem with "Display" in "Control Panel"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cntrynt

I accidently posted this in "Vista" so I'm reposting it here as the operating system I have is XP Professional.

I'm having a problem with "Display" in the Control Panel. Yesterday I visited a website and opened a file. After I did that, my wallpaper changed and it appeared to be whatever the website was. I was able to somehow get it off (don't ask me what I did, I couldn't tell you). Now, when I click on "Display" in the Control Panel and go to "Desk Top", the only thing that I can change is the color and I can also click on "Customize Desktop", but I cannot change the background or click on "browse...". Can you help?

Go To Start > Run > Copy And Paste Everything From The Code Box And Hit Enter .. A Notepad Will Pop-up > Copy And Paste Everything Here

Code:
cmd /c (Reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Policies" /s >logon.txt & Reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies /s >>logon.txt)  && logon.txt

cntrynt

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
NoAddingComponents REG_SZ 0
NoEditingComponents REG_SZ 0
NoChangingWallpaper REG_SZ 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x91
ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x0
ForceActiveDesktopOn REG_SZ 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

Open Notepad .. CoPy And Paste Everything From The Code Box And Paste In Notepad .. Save The Notepad As "Fix.inf" With Quotes .. After Saving Right CLick on "Fix.inf" And Click "Install"

Code:
[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=Policies 

[Policies]
HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoAddingComponents
HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoEditingComponents
HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoChangingWallpaper
HKCU,"%exp%",ClassicShell 
HKCU,"%exp%",ForceActiveDesktopOn

[Strings]
Restrict = "software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Active Desktop"
exp   = "software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Explorer"

Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

* Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
* Click on Install.
* It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
* Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

If you sign on with another account does it then work then?

I would post a hijackthis log just to make sure something else isn't the culprit

cntrynt

I went back to the website where I had opened the file that created the problem and found a link to their customer service. I sent them an e-mail and told them what had happened. They responded and told me to uninstall "winvi". That solved the problem.

Glad Your Problem Is Resolved

You Can Use The "Thread Tools" At The Top To Mark The Thread As "Solved"

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online