1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with "Display" in "Control Panel"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cntrynt, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cntrynt

cntrynt Thread Starter

I accidently posted this in "Vista" so I'm reposting it here as the operating system I have is XP Professional.

I'm having a problem with "Display" in the Control Panel. Yesterday I visited a website and opened a file. After I did that, my wallpaper changed and it appeared to be whatever the website was. I was able to somehow get it off (don't ask me what I did, I couldn't tell you). Now, when I click on "Display" in the Control Panel and go to "Desk Top", the only thing that I can change is the color and I can also click on "Customize Desktop", but I cannot change the background or click on "browse...". Can you help?

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Go To Start > Run > Copy And Paste Everything From The Code Box And Hit Enter .. A Notepad Will Pop-up > Copy And Paste Everything Here

Code:
    cmd /c (Reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Policies" /s >logon.txt & Reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies /s >>logon.txt)  && logon.txt

3. cntrynt

cntrynt Thread Starter

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
    NoAddingComponents REG_SZ 0
    NoEditingComponents REG_SZ 0
    NoChangingWallpaper REG_SZ 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x91
    ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x0
    ForceActiveDesktopOn REG_SZ 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

Open Notepad .. CoPy And Paste Everything From The Code Box And Paste In Notepad .. Save The Notepad As "Fix.inf" With Quotes .. After Saving Right CLick on "Fix.inf" And Click "Install"

Code:
    [Version]
    Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
    DelReg=Policies 

[Policies]
    HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoAddingComponents
    HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoEditingComponents
    HKCU,"%Restrict%",NoChangingWallpaper
    HKCU,"%exp%",ClassicShell 
    HKCU,"%exp%",ForceActiveDesktopOn

[Strings]
    Restrict = "software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Active Desktop"
    exp   = "software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\Explorer"

5. cntrynt

cntrynt Thread Starter

Okay. I did that, but it didn't fix anything.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

* Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
    * By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    * Click on Install.
    * It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    * Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    * Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    * Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

7. techychick

techychick

If you sign on with another account does it then work then?

I would post a hijackthis log just to make sure something else isn't the culprit

8. cntrynt

cntrynt Thread Starter

I went back to the website where I had opened the file that created the problem and found a link to their customer service. I sent them an e-mail and told them what had happened. They responded and told me to uninstall "winvi". That solved the problem.

9. devil_himself

devil_himself

Glad Your Problem Is Resolved

You Can Use The "Thread Tools" At The Top To Mark The Thread As "Solved"

:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice