1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with HDD/Windows. Lots o' details!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Logic_Bomb, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Logic_Bomb

Logic_Bomb Thread Starter

Below are all the notes I've been taking since I started diagnostics/repair on this computer. They're pretty detailed, but if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Also, I can't seem to figure out which motherboard is in the laptop. Dell is no help at all; I can't even talk to them without purchasing "premium service." Keep in mind that I can't boot to my OS, so downloading a program to identify the motherboard is out of the question. Thanks in advance for any help.

System Specs:

Model: Dell Studio 1735
    BIOS Version: A04 (08/01/2008), there is an update to A05 (12/05/2008) on Dell's website
    Processor: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo @ 2.50GHz w/ 6MB cache
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM
    OS: Windows Vista 32-bit is on the original HDD, but the new one (in it now) has nothing
    HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB (WD3200BPVT), Original was a Western Digital 320GB (WD3200BEVT)
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 w/ 256MB dedicated memory

Error Codes:

STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC0000102, 0x00000002, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    Dell Diagnostics: 2000-0146

Problem:

Computer won’t finish loading OS. Would stay in an infinite loop at the Vista loading screen. Would POST properly for the most part. Sometimes took a while to POST (generally if I’d removed something such as the HDD previously). After running chkdsk (both /f and /r), system would POST and, after trying to load the OS, it would BSOD.

Goal:

Get computer back to a working state. I want to put my copy of Windows XP on it so I have a working OS, then I plan to update it from my school’s server to Windows 7. I just need a working OS to get to their server, that’s why I’m attempting to install XP.

Attempts to fix:

I've of course tried to start in safe mode and last known good configuration. Safe mode hangs on crcdisk.sys, and last known good configuration acts just like it would if I were trying to start it normally.

Ran Dell Diagnostics. Within the first few seconds I get an error code (2000-0146) which states that the hard drive is either bad or is going bad. One time I ran DD and it seemed to shut down midway through. Unfortunately I was working on something else at the time and didn’t catch it with my own eyes, but DD takes a good hour or two, and I looked at it after 10-15 minutes, and the screen was off. The battery was charged, and it was plugged in as well.

Ran chkdsk (both /f and /r) to no avail. It seemed to fix a lot of corrupt files, but didn’t fix my main problem. Oddly enough, it seemed to stop Vista from getting stuck in an infinite loop upon startup. Now it just blue screens after a few minutes.

After running chkdsk, I tried installing XP. It would get to the point where I’m assuming it would begin the installation (after setting up all the drivers, etc.) but it would blue screen with the STOP: 0x0000007B code above.

Swapped the HDD for a same-size, same-company replacement. Went from a WD3200BEVT to a WD3200BPVT(?). BIOS recognized it as a HDD. Formatted on another computer, swapped HDD back into original laptop, then tried to load Windows XP from an installation disk I had to the brand new, formatted HDD. Would load/set up all the drivers, then BSOD just before it began installing (at the same time as it did on the original HDD) with the same 0x0000007B code above.

Comments:

Slightly concerned it may be the SATA controller. Not too sure what that is exactly, need to do research.

May possibly need to flash BIOS to a new version. The owner said she got an error code in Windows (before it died) saying that she needed to update BIOS.

Future attempts to fix:

Disable the Flash Cache Module and change the SATA operation from AHCI to ATA to see if I can install XP. I read on several forums that this can stop the 7B STOP code from coming up during installation.

Flash BIOS to newer version if all else fails. I really don’t want to have to do this.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Changing the Sata mode to ATA/IDE should indeed fix the 7B error.
    If you do get XP installed you may have to search for drivers if the laptop was only shipped with Vista.
    As long as the Network card works you should be able to get 7 on it I think but bear in mind you can't upgrade from XP to 7 it will have to be a clean install of 7.

3. Logic_Bomb

Thanks for replying. That's my next course of action, so hopefully it works. I'm not too concerned about installing drivers that aren't crucial to running XP if I get it going, as I plan to install 7 once I get it running. I'm not sure if the version of 7 on the school's server is the full or the upgrade, but considering they were running old versions of 2000 Pro and XP Pro beforehand, I'd assume it would be the full version.

4. Logic_Bomb

Alright, so I was able to get everything up and running. Sorry for bumping this back to the top, but I figured it would be beneficial for anyone searching this in the future.

Disabling the Flash Cache Module and changing the SATA operation from AHCI to ATA worked like a charm. No more 7B error and I was able to get Windows XP Installed successfully. The biggest problem I'm running into at this point is finding all the necessary drivers.

Dell doesn't support Windows XP on the Studio laptops, so I had to flex my Googling muscles a bit. I was able to find a .zip file that had a lot of the important drivers. Search for "Dell Studio 1535 XP drivers" and look for the .zip. Even if you have the 1735, they all seem to work fine. At this point, the only major thing I need is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 driver for XP. Considering this card was primarily put into notebooks during the Vista era, this is a rare driver. In fact, I'm reading that people end up having to mod the Catalyst Control Center for this card to make it work with XP.

If anyone knows of this driver for a Dell Studio 1735 running Windows XP, a download link would be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice