1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with installing SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philwal, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

I just received my new Hitachi Deskstar 400gb 3.5" 7200 rpm 16mb SATA Hard Drive, and I have tried to install without success.

My MOBO has now SATA connectors so I purchased a Serial ATA RAID PCI, and attached the drive using this.However the Drive does not show up in the Computer Management, so I cant format and partition it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Phil

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi Phil,

I hope you are having a good 4th of July!

Is your SATA RAID PCI card drivers installed and showing up in Windows? Please check the device manager and ensure it is working properly.

Also, could you provide us some details on the controller, windows version with SP’s, and all the other relevant information?

Thanks!

Shane

3. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

The driver that is showing up is a Silicon Image Sil 3122 SATA Raid controller. Device Manager says it is working properly.

Using XP Home SP2 Intel Pentium 4.

The ATA RAID PCI supports RAID O and RAID 1.

(I have fitted another SATA drive on another PC, but didn't need a PCI card. That one worked ok.)

4. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

Additional info:

On start up the is a request to enter RAID Utility by pressing F4. The name of the Hard Drive and its size is supposed to show up, but nothing shows up.

5. pinntech

pinntech

Hi and thanks for the information.

So, the drive isn’t detected in the CONTROLLER BIOS at all? (When you press F4)

Yes, it should appear on the screen during boot, detecting the HDD and it should also appear in the “physical drive” list once you are in the BIOS.

Have you verified that the drive is correctly cabled?

Could you please describe the cables you have connected to the hard drive itself?

Unfortunately, I cannot find your controller on Silicone Image’s website. The closest one I can find is the Sil 3124 controller. Which comes in two flavors… the -1 is original SATA and -2 is SATAII.

Do you still have the box it came in? Maybe provide some details on the part number or something that will help find it on the net somewhere?

Thanks.. Shane

6. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

The PCI card comes with two Serial SATA cables and one Dual-Connector SATA power cable. The ATA cable is attached to the Drive from the PCI card. The SATA power cable is an adaptor from the normal power cable, and that connects to the drive too.

The PCI card is called "Serial ATA Raid PCI" and there is a number above the Barcode, which I assume is a model number: A47BB. (Made in Taiwan) Another number appears on the box:
    5301-0318-002.

7. pinntech

pinntech

Hi again..

Your controller card seems to be some type of OEM card. As previously stated, I can’t find it on the Silicon Image website. I think if you were to pull the card and look at the chipset on it, it would probably have the following data:

SiliconImage
    SataLink
    Sil3112ACT144

And then some additional information such as…

Q23142.1

Since we can’t get any information on the card, let us try something else with the drive.

I believe the Hitachi drive should have both the SATA POWER and the regular 5.25” power connector on it.

Let’s remove the “adapter” for the dual power supply from both the power supply cable and from the drive. Now attach the regular 5.25” power supply cable to the drive.

You cannot run both!! So, make sure you disconnect the SATA Power adapter!!

Now you should have the SATA data cable running from you HDD to the controller card and the normal 5.25” drive power cable running to the HDD.

Give it a try see if the drive is recognized in the CONTROLLER BIOS; where you hit F4 or CTRL + S to get into its BIOS.

Do you know your motherboard make and model?

Thanks

Shane

8. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

Card says V2.0
    Chipset details:

Sil3112ACT144
    QC1429.1-3

Motherboard is Microstar PC MT5 MED MT 122A (MEDION PC)

Tried changing power cables. No Change. Nothing showing in the Raid BIOS utility.

9. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

Further details at start up about the motherboard:
    W6533M7 V1.17 080602 11:06:00 MEDIONPC

Is there any info you need about PCI and IRQ from startup?

10. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

Still no luck. I was wondering if the power supply might have something to do with it. I was checking it, and it says it is a 250watt. (The PC is 2nd hand so didnt know.) My other PCs have much bigger PSUs. Could it be that there isnt enough power to run it, so it doesnt get recognized.
    BTW, on a couple of occasions on start up, I hit F4, and get a message saying it is disabled. Then when restart, the RAID BIOS controller starts on F4. This intermittent effect makes me wonder if the power is to blame.

What do you think?

11. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

Below is the text from Hitachi Technical Support. Do you agree with them?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Dear Mr Walton,

Thank you for contacting our Hitachi Technical Support Center

If your hdd is not recognized in your PC it sounds to be defect. In order
    to get replacement unit of your defective hard drive processed please
    contact your direct point of purchase.
    Hitachi GST provides an alternative service to your point of purchase who
    is primarily responsible for the warranty of your defective drive.
    For terms and conditions of the Hitachi GST service, please consult our
    website www.hitachigst.com/warranty.

Best Regards

Marcella Rieger
    Hitachi Technical Support Center
    [email protected]

12. pinntech

pinntech

Hi…

I highly doubt that your power supply is responsible for all of this. It’s not IMPOSSIBLE, but highly doubtful. It all depends on what all you have installed in your computer. If you have the basics, such as two CD/DVD drives, two or three hard disk drives, a graphic card, sound card, network card, modem and two fans. Then the power supply would be sufficient enough to run the SATA card along with those. Also, if it were the power supply, it would affect more than just the SATA controller.

I kind of agree with the Hitachi Tech Support, but I am leaning more towards a defective SATA controller rather than the hard disk drive being faulty.

If you bought the drive locally, you could return it and exchange it for a different one or have them test it. Surely they would test it for free. The same goes for the SATA controller.

You could always install it into one of your other PCs just to see if the controller and the drive are recognized. You wouldn’t have to boot into the operating system, just boot to the F4 and enter the SATA BIOS. See if the drive is found or not.

Thanks and keep me posted on what you do and what you find out!

Shane

13. philwal

philwal Thread Starter

I removed the Hard drive, and swapped it with an already working SATA drive in another PC, which did not need a PCI card. That way it bypassed whether or not the card was working.

Started up, and there was no sign of the Drive on this PC. Clearly the Drive is at fault. Put the other drive back in and was instantly recognized.

I'll be returning the drive to digital-discounts-uk, from whom I purchased it on eBay.

Philip

14. pinntech

pinntech

There you go! Congrats! People still buy stuff from EBAY? (laughing) Only kidding!

I hope everything goes fine with the return/exchange!

Please make sure you mark this thread as solved!

Have a great Sunday!

15. saikee

saikee

What about feeding a Sata II to an old mobo that supports for only the Sata I?

Happen to me before because new Sata disks are now all Sata II standard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice