1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icelag, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icelag

icelag Thread Starter

I have a problem with my computer set: If I turn my monitor on before turning my computer on, my monitor will not detect a signal (black screen).

If I turn my computer on first and then immediately after i turn my monitor on (while the computer is starting up) then it works fine. If I turn the monitor on when the windows is on, its too late, it won't detect a signal.

When both are on, and I leave the computer for a certain period of time, the monitor will go to sleep (monitor is on but shows an orange light). Then when I come back to the comp set, i shake the mouse, press some keys, the light stays orange and won't detect a signal.

Hopefully I've explained it well. My question is, what is wrong here? The monitor, the vga wire, the computer or the graphics card? Has anyone here experienced something similar before?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would first try accessing the OSD menu for the monitor and reset everything to default (do this with the monitor unplugged from the computer). If you cannot access the OSD this way, the monitor is bad.

Reconnect the monitor and try booting Windows in safe mode. If that works suspect you graphics card driver or settings. If it doesn't, try the monitor with another desktop or laptop computer. If that doesn't work either try another cable. If nothing works, suspect the monitor.

3. icelag

icelag Thread Starter

Thanks but the problem was found to be the VGA wire.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice