1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with my external hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blitzkreig, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Thread Starter

Okay so here goes,
    I purchased a seagate freeagent 320 gig external. Its working well but I have a problem ejecting it. I right click on the remove hardware, I click on stop and then comes an error... cannot eject generic volume, please try again(something of that sort) (made sure no other hard drive or usb pen drive was connected), This happened several times, I also made sure no other program was making use of this disk... then i dirctly unplugged it out of frustration :(

2. TekTime

TekTime

Did you try running a program to verify no files are being used by the drive when you try to remove it?

If not try OpenedFilesView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

"OpenedFilesView displays the list of all opened files on your system. For each opened file, additional information is displayed: handle value, read/write/delete access, file position, the process that opened the file, and more... "

You can click the column header of open files to alpha sort all them - which should make it easier to identify files on the drive in question since they will be sorted by drive letter.

3. blitzkreig

I didn't come across any program running from the external.. what now?

4. blitzkreig

bump

any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice