1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: problem with .NET framework updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mezzerooni, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mezzerooni

mezzerooni Thread Starter

hi tech guys-

i recently wiped and re-installed my win XP, with SP3 as before. it took me awhile to realize this (distracted by other issues) but pretty well daily i was being advised that i had updates waiting to be installed. most often i'd shut the PC down at night, opting for the updates to happen overnight, after which the PC would supposedly shut down. each morning i'd re-boot and see a message that 6 updates had failed to install. i finally realized that it is the same 6 updates every time, all having to do with the .NET framework. so i've been disregarding the update advisories for a couple of weeks now, but am worried that by not installing the 6 .NET items, i am blocking any chance of windows downloading other, possibly more critical updates. not to mention the possibility that the .NET updates could also be important as well.
    is there a manual workaround or some other way i should be approaching this issue?

thanks in advance- MEZZ

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can make a note of the 6 updates KB numbers (like KB123456) and then go here :-
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx
    Type each KB+number into the search area at the top of the page then select the correct file for your XP and download it.
    When you have all 6 run the lowest numbered one first, next number 2nd etc until all 6 have installed, if you get prompted to restart the computer do so then resume the install at the next number.
    If you have any problems stop there and post back explaining what went wrong.

3. mezzerooni

thanks-
    i'll start on it tonight.

if you have time for this: could this issue be preventing me from receiving other, more recent, updates? also, are you aware of any reason(s) why this should have been happening in the first place?
    i would understand you preferring to wait until (or if) i discover any further problems with doing these updates manually....

m

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

What versions of .Net do you have installed? Check in add and remove Programs.

5. mezzerooni

from add/remove:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP 2
    MS .NET Framework 3.0 SP 2
    " " " 3.5 SP1
    " " " 4 Client Profile
    " " " 4 Extended

sorry- didn't see your post until this morning.

mezz

6. mezzerooni

to managed-

afraid i didn't follow your instructions exactly (most specifically did not go to MS link you provided). not out of defiance, just the lateness of the hour.
    i listed the updates in order, then chose custom install. i left the lowest number checked, then unchecked the other 5. it installed successfully. it did not ask for a restart.
    chose custom again. same six were still listed and checked, but i now left only the next-highest KB checked and unchecked the remaining ones. again, windows said install was successful. i continued this procedure until all six had been installed. again, at no time did it ask for a restart. (it did say a restart MIGHT be necessary). at that point the updates notifier appeared and listed all six as needing to be installed.
    i did a restart at that point in hopes that this would cause the updates to "take". no dice.

in about an hour i'll try again, this time following your instructions exactly, also checking first to see if you have any further ideas or directions.
    thanks for your patience.
    mezz

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You don't need version 4.0. Uninstall it.

Version 3.5 SP1 includes versions 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2.

------------------------------------------------------

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

.NET and its updates do not need a restart. They are runtimes.

Do you have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed? (I'm working on a theory for this common problem.)

9. mezzerooni

i don't seem to have it installed. i've looked in add/remove- nothing there, in revo uninstaller- nothing, and have done a simple search- nothing. i'm almost positive, though, that there is something to do with ATI somewhere in all my "stuff"- whether it's an unused install disc or something else it just ain't manifesting.

thanks for your help to this point, and hopefully if you can enlighten me further. curious also what your theory you refer to is.
    m

10. mezzerooni

sorry- lost my reply.
    i will uninstall version 4.0 sounds like you are also saying i can uninstall v 2.0 and 3.0 as well, since they are already in 3.5.

thanks for your helpful response.
    m

11. mezzerooni

hi-

i take it you agree with what flavalee and elvandil are telling me...?
    thanks again for your response. i certainly remain puzzled as to what windows is doing re these continual updates of the same 6 files, however.

m

m

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do NOT uninstall 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP2. They're part of 3.5 SP1.

------------------------------------------------------

13. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Yes this is why I asked 4.0 was causing unexplained errors and its completely useless.

14. mezzerooni

thanks, all-

luckily i did not uninstall 2.0 and 3.0. i've continued manually installing any updates that come in for any combination of the above opr the above plus 3.5. not sure whether this is linked to problems i've been having with garbled sound, slow right-click response, freezing of the mouse function, weird backing-up action in browser (browser will suddenly cycle back through previous pages for no apparent reason), and occasional inability to connect with my E drive.
    actually, this morning, sick of all the above, i started using IE, and voila! (it seems) most of the above problems have ceased. i'd been using chrome, i should mention, for about a month. i haven't uninstalled it yet, but am starting to wonder if i maybe oughta with all that grief.

interestingly, thought i'd check out safari for windows appr. an hour ago. page came up for safari, but underneath a line saying "download safari" or something like that, there was a big fat chrome logo. my mouse instantly froze and i got the hell out of there. guess i'll stick with IE- have never really given it a fair shake, after all the slogging it gets from firefox, etc. as for firefox, after a year or so of that i was getting sick of increasingly frequent crashes and switched to chrome.

any comments or observations? i ask mainly because i still don't understand the function of .NET, and am pretty leery, for now, of the whole updates mess. i'd figured custom would be a better route than automatic updates, but now it doesn't seem to be any improvement at all, at least not in the logic department.
    but we are talking windows here, i gotta keep that in mind.

thanks for your collective help with the updates issue(s) so far.

mezz

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I can't give you the technical explanation for Microsoft .NET Framework, but it's required in order for some programs and device drivers to be installed and work.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 come with version 3.5 SP1 as part of it.

I haven't seen anything YET that requires having version 4.0.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is one comment from a Microsoft forum:

.NET Framework is used in programming certain applications. If a program you have installed was built using a particular version of .NET Framework, and you uninstall it, that program will stop working. Printer software, for example, is commonly built using .NET Framework.

----------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice