1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with new internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trance7, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

So earlier today i sat on the phone for about an hour and a half with someone from india about my verizon dsl not working. So they got it working connected directly to my laptop. So i figured since i had no problems in the past with my router or pc i could just plug it in to my desktop through my router.

Sigh.

In a nutshell im using a linksys wrt54gs and using Linksys Easy Link Advisor. And a westell 6100F.

The easy link advisor says i have full connection to the router and the web but when i try to pull up a page or ping a website i get no repsonse at all.

Any suggestions? I really dont want to back on the phone with the indian lady again.

Edit i noticed someone had a similar thread started earlier and i just dont want to hijack the thread.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to go into the Linksys web based setup and change the base address of the Linksys router to 192.168.2.1 from the default 192.168.1.1, which is also the base address of the 6100F router. Make sure you also check the DHCP server's address range and change it to 192.168.2.x if it doesn't automatically follow the base address.

3. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

=] Thanks for the response, I had already changed the address to 192.168.2.1 and now im not sure how to do the second part you asked.

Where should i go to check that.

Edit: I think i found it. Right below the local ip address is the "Starting IP Address" Its set to 192.168.2.100

4. JohnWill

That should do the trick. Now just power cycle everything and see if you can connect.

5. Trance7

Trance7 Thread Starter

Thank you so much! =] Even though the only step i didnt do was the power cycle, its such a small step that it would have been day before i figured that out.

PS: Posting from my desktop =]

6. JohnWill

Glad it all worked out. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice