1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with Plextor SATA drive on Asus board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmc, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I received my new Plextor PX716SA SATA drive (hope I have the model # right - it's the dual-layer SATA drive). Put simply, I cannot boot the system if this drive is attached.

My board is an Asus k8V-Deluxe. I have three other SATA devices, all three are hard drives, and they are recognized and run fine.

However, if I plug the Plextor into the Promise 20378 controller (running in IDE mode), it fails during bios boot, detection phase, with a message that my hardware is misconfigured. This happens on either drive, and I've checked the connections and all.

If I plug it into the VIA VT8237 Southbridge connectors, it'll detect, but I'm not sure it's detecting correctly - it sees it as a Plextor during detection, but in the BIOS Boot Devices screen it shows "MBA UNDI (Bus0 Slot)" - but partway through booting into windows, it'll fail with an Inaccessible_Boot_Device error. I've tried disabling it in the BIOS Boot Priority screen, but still get the same error.

System boots perfectly fine as long as the SATA cable for that device is unplugged.

Anybody have any advice? Anyone know for sure if this board is compatible with this drive? Can't seem to find anything that says yea or nay.

Appreciate any help/advice. I did go to Plextor's site, but it wasn't any help.

Oh, and it's getting juice, I can open/close the door and the light comes on during boot.

jmc

2. beginnertech

beginnertech

It could be defective. I once had a modem that would make Windows freez on startup. I also had this problem on a CD-Rom drive that went bad on me. It just may not working right. Send it back, where-ever it came from and try another.

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Thanks to Plextor, this was solved very quickly. I received a reply to my email in under 1/2 hour, suggested I update the VIA RAID drivers, and provided a URL. It boots now. I haven't tested the drive yet, but since it's a Plextor, I'm sure it'll work fine :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice