1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with putting PS/2 mouse back together!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by carmex22000, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carmex22000

carmex22000 Thread Starter

I took my mouse apart to clean it, but the clicker buttons won't work. Dont laugh (I am though), but I am using this mouse with the cover off of it and using my fingers to click on the white "clicker" buttons just to get it to work. I tried to plug in another mouse on the front of my pc on a usb port,but naturally it's not recongized. I have read some of your older threads (2004), but I'm not too pc savy, so I am not sure what to do. When I unplug the mouse I am using (which came with my HP pavilion a6010n and plugs into the back (it's color coded) and try to plug in the older version of an HP mouse which has the end to connect to a usb port,nothing happens, so that is why I have to keep this one plugged in. It does work, but I guess when I cleaned it (and it was really filthy), and put it back together, the clickers won't connect to the little white tabs that make the clickers work. It doesn't appear that anything has been broken, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I had a cordless Logitech M205 (cheapie) that I was using, but when it froze pretty often, it think I beat it to death because now it won't work at all. In your older threads I read about deleting inf files that were installed on updates, but I'm not really wanting to do this since I will probably make my problem worst instead of better. Like I said, the original PS/2 mouse is working, I just messed it up or not putting it together tight enough to get the outside cover to connect to the clickers. I'm afraid if I have to use the other HP mouse which connects to a usb port, I can't get it to work because I can only have one mouse installed at a time can't I? :confused:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There's no reason why a USB mouse shouldn't work while a PS2 is in place. If the front USB port doesn't show your mouse, it may be a problem with that port so try one of the rear ports. Plug the USB mouse in while the system is down then power up and Windows should identify it and find a simple driver to run it.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hopefully, you did not plug/unplug the PS/2 mouse while the machine was running. That can cause permanent damage to the machine.

Why is it "obvious" that a USB mouse would not work?

4. carmex22000

carmex22000 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I unplugged the PS/2 mouse while the machine was running or not. I did turn the machine off and plug in the mouse in several USB ports, (the front and back) but none of them recognized the mouse. Since they aren't very expensive, I will go buy another one before I try to trouble shoot any more. Thank you for your time on trying to help, but if the new mouse doesn't work, I will post again. I assumed that a USB mouse would not work because I tried one that was a laser and a cordless, but neither one worked. (Both use to work, but neither do now). That is why I was wondering if maybe they weren't working anymore or if I needed to install something on my pc to make them work). I am still using the original that is plugged in the the port on the back of the machine, but it's the one I took apart and can't get it back together to get the clickers to work!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice