Solved: Problem with QuickBooks connecting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Hi, All,

My sister is having a major problem with her QuickBooks program.

She is using QB 2003. About 45 days or so, she will download/upload all the information she needs to do update the tax information for the employees and it sends off and files all that stuff, as well as updates information that she needs to do payroll. However, today when she went to do that, it won't do it. What happens is that she connects to the internet fine, but when she goes to do the download for QB, it SAYS it is downloading, but the filler bar never fills up. It just sits there and sits there. No error messages, nothing.

She was on the phone to QB customer service for two hours. They tried everything they could think of, at one time she had three people on the line, lol. They turned off the firewall, the antivirus, checked everything. Nothing helped. It simply won't download.

She has no problems connecting to other sites on the internet, even secure sites like her bank account.

Now, she is going to try to uninstall and reinstall, but she has to do backups. If she is going to go through that trouble, she might as well install QB 2006, since 2003 is not going to be supported after April. But, the problem with THAT is that she has not done the year-end stuff yet and she is afraid that reinstalling, or installing the 2006, may not fix the problem of the download. Another problem with getting the backups done is that one of her kids is currently vomiting and has diarrhea. :eek:

Soooooo, I told her I would find out if anyone here has any suggestions. Ideally, what she is hoping is to hear of some setting or something that she might change or check either in QB or the computer, or the download manager (she uses Windows XP Pro SP2 with IE).

Or if she should make the backups, and do a reinstall of 2003 tonight, if that has a good chance of working, just so that she can get payroll done and then get the year-end stuff done and later this wieek go get 2006.

Or, should she not bother reinstalling 2003 and go straight to 2006? If so, than she's going to just not work on it anymore today and go get 2006 tomorrow and work on it this weekend.

She didn't have time to tell me all that they did while on the phone to QG customer support, but any suggestions or ideas that anyone might have I'll just send all on to her and she can see if there is anything new to try.

Thanks so much for any replies, I know this is pretty vague, but she's pretty upset and stressed and I told her I'd do what I could to track down some information. :)

LauraMJ

Administrator
Yes, I do know that that was one of the first things the QB tech checked. She turned it completely off, but it made no difference.

The only thing that has been different than the last time she tried to download with QB is that I, with the help of Cheeseball, cleaned out her highly infected computer. Here is the thread on that, if htat should shed any light on something that might have gotten damaged.

http://forums.techguy.org/security/425684-solved-cheeseball81-here-thread-i-told-you-about.html

LauraMJ

Administrator
Yeah! She got it fixed! (y)

She put in an email to some sort of customer support at QB where when they get your email, they call you. She got lucky and had someone in California call her. She had thought it was too late and no one would call her back.

This guy said that he himself had just handled THREE other people with this exact same problem. Everyone has had some things in common.

They all had a dial-up connection with either an accelerator or a high-speed connection.
They all had Norton's anti-virus
They all had a firewall

(I'm guessing that those last two are just coincidences, since Norton's is a popular anti-virus and EVERYONE has a firewall of some sort. Besides, she had already, earlier today, turned both of those off without it making any difference.) But, since the customer support in that office were not positive, they were simply telling people to shut everything off. What they feel was the real problem is that today is the first Friday of the new year, it's a lot of traffic on that QB download server, and the accelerator or high-speed interfered enough to really screw it.

Once she turned off the high-speed connection and reverted to a plain dial-up, and turned off the Norton's and the Firewall, the download filler bar started moving again, and the download continued to the finish.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online