1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: problem with router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gib88, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have had a wireless router serving two computers in my home network for almost a year now without problems. Lately, however, it's been going on the fritz. At least once a day, I've had to reset it because no computer in the household could connect to the internet. I know it's the router because I've tested everything else (restarting both computers, releasing and renewing IP addresses, pinging outside sources, running diagnostic tools, etc.). I even plugged my laptop directly into the modem (bypassing the router) and had no problem surfing the internet that way.

I'm sure the router is not overheating. It's sitting on a well ventilated stand with no other electronics near to it. These conditions haven't changed lately so why would it suddenly start causing problem now just from overheating?

Usually, when this happens, and overheating is not an issue, I see no choice but to buy another router.

Before I do this, however, I want to be sure there isn't some other way of troubleshooting the problem. Can anyone lend some advice?

2. oksteve

oksteve

Can you tell us the name and model of the offending router ?

3. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

A make and model will help. Sometimes software upgrades to the router from the manufacturer clear up issues such as these.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As requested please post the make and model, including revision number, of the router in question. It is possible that the router is going out. I have had this problem with a few dLink and Netgear routers, all wireless.

5. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

I will post that information as soon as I get home.

6. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

OK, it is a Linksys WRT160N. I didn't see anything called a revision number.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does it have a v1 or something like that near the model number on the sticker?

8. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

No, but I've since learnt that no version # = v1. I have also since fixed the problem: firmware upgrade.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice