1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with setting up wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tanjarina, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tanjarina

Tanjarina Thread Starter

Using a Dell Dimension 4600, a Westell 6100 DSL Modem, and a Linksys Wireless G WRT54GS. Everything was wired correctly, modem to internet insert on Linksys, Linksys to Dell, Dell to LAN port on Linksys). Just connecting my DSL modem to the computer, I can get an internet connection with no problems. After installing the Linksys, all lights are green on both the DSL Modem and the Linksys (including internet light) however, I cannot access the internet.

The strange part is that both my laptop and the playstation3 can see the linksys and can connect to it with an 87% signal strength (although it is an unsecure connection because I have not been able to access the internet to finish my installation.) I reset both the DSL and Linksys to factory setting prior to installation. I shut everything down and installed in the following order, instead of using the installation disc: Turned on modem first, waited until lights were on, then turned on Linksys, waited 2 minutes (and then all lights were on, on both) then booted up computer and tried to access the internet. I then reset everything and tried to install using the disc, and got stuck at the part where the router tried to access the internet.

Im not sure if this contributes to the problem, but I brought this computer home from my office today (due to a crash of my Compaq). At the office, it was the main computer for the office network of two pc's and two laptops. Im not sure what modem or wireless router is used at the office. It is the same ISP provider I have at home
    but the modem and router are not the same brand. I'm not sure if maybe those settings are "stuck" somewhere?

I ran ipconfig and here are the results:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tanya>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : tanya-office
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : launchmodem.com
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-51-98-71
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.148
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 18, 2008 11:25:25 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 19, 2008 11:25:25 PM

Then I ran the windows XP connectivity diagnostics program and got the following:

Last diagnostic run time: 04/18/08 23:42:04 WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
    error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
    info Redirecting user to support call
    info Redirecting user to support call

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and hubby was also able to see the router on the playstation and was able to connect to it and update the system software and download and install it, but when trying to actually log on and play a game, got a DNS error. Thank you!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The problem here appears to be that the Linksys and the Westell 6100 are on the same subnet, which makes it impossible for the Linksys to get a connection.

You'll need to change the base address of the Linksys or configure the 6100 in bridge mode to fix this. I'd go with bridging the 6100, that will turn it into a plain modem and not interfere with gaming ports and the like.

Bridging the Westell 6100: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14770977

3. Tanjarina

Tanjarina Thread Starter

I read through that thread and apparently there is a problem if your using bellsouth, which I do. Should I still try that? This is what was said in the other site:

"For one, the default gateway is 192.168.1.254. Secondly, I get the prompt, but for 4 things, the account holder email addy, password, id, and telephone number. The modem pages are Bellsouth in as much as it would appear that the modems are customized for Bellsouth.

No page comes up with a DSL Connect rate etc.

There is no way to release the IP (because Bellsouth assigns static IPs???)

There is no *private lan* on/off option

There is no VC Configuration below Configuration.

Instead of an answer this person was sent to a FAQ page which is greek to me.

4. JohnWill

Well, plan B is to configure the second router as a wireless AP.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

5. Tanjarina

Tanjarina Thread Starter

OK, problem solved!! Thank you very much!!!

6. JohnWill

Glad we could help. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice