1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Problem with using HDTV as main display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skinygrl99, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skinygrl99

Skinygrl99 Thread Starter

Sorry if this gets long, I want to make sure I explain the problem sufficiently. I am trying to hook up my LG LCD HDTV to my husband's Toshiba Satellite via HDMI. I right-clicked on the desktop and went into "Graphics Propreties...". At first, I did a desktop clone, which worked out great, but I wasn't satisfied with the resolution. I figured it had something to do with the max resolution available on the notebook, since what displayed on the TV was just a clone of the notebook's display. I then switched to single display, with the HDTV as the display. That worked, andI was able to up the resolution past what was available before. Here is where the problem starts: I was switching back and forth with a few different resolutions, and happened to pick one that apparantly my HDTV does not like, as the screen went black and "Invalid Format" danced around the screen. As soon as I unplugged the TV from the notebook, it switched back to the notebook's display. Here is my question: I need to know how to either fix the resolution issue with the TV without it being plugged into the notebook, or I need to know how to reset the graphics settings so that it does not remember that I ever hooked it up to the TV in the first place, at which point I can start from scratch and not mess around with the resolution to begin with.:eek:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Skinygrl99, and welcome to TSG.

Found this in the PDF version of the A500 Series User Guide:
    That should let you get back to using the control panel to select a suitable mode for the exteranl screen.

3. Skinygrl99

Skinygrl99 Thread Starter

Thanks!!! That worked!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice