1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: problem with WD 320 hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by petera71, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

I just finished building a new Vista system and everything is running great, except that the system is recognizing the WD 320 gig hard drive as 137 gig. I thought this problem was solved in XP. I have flashed the bios to the latest version and it does come up in the bios as a 320 gig drive. This bios does support large drives. I installed the latest drivers for the Intel chipset. I downloaded some program from WD that does a diagnostic on the drive and all came up okay. I did not download the lifeguard tools because its not supported by vista. Anyone run into this problem in vista.

Build includes:
    CORSAIR TWIN3X2048-1066C7 2GB KIT 240-PIN DDR3 DIMM
    CPU INTEL|C2D E6750 2.66G 65N 4M R
    HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS
    MB ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP P35 R
    VGA ASUS EAX1550/TD/256M VIDEO CARD
    Win Vista home premium 32 bit

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where are you looking at the drive's size?

What does it say in Disk Management?

3. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

shows up as 137 gig drive

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no unallocated space to the right in the image in Disk Management?

Is it set to autodetect in the BIOS? If it is, you could try putting in the values manually. If not, try autodetect.

Be sure that LBA is enabled.

Was the drive pre-formatted and pre-partitioned? If so, remove the partitions and make new ones. Format NTFS (quick, if you have no reason to suspect surface errors).

Is that your main drive or a secondary? If secondary, check the jumpers. You need to check them on the master drive, too, since some drives require a different jumper setting if there is a slave present than if it is alone.

If your main drive is set to cable-select, set the other to cable-select.

5. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

Was working from laptop. Took a look at pc in ? and found that Disk 0 Basic 298.09GB, C drive NTFS 127.99 Healthy, and yes thereis 170GB unallocated.
    LBA was enabled and I can't enter value manually. This was set-up as 1 large partition but during install I only had a choice to format 137gigs. HD installed on SATA1 and bios displays following.
    Type auto
    lba auto
    Block(multi sector transfer) auto
    PIO mode 4
    DMA mode UDMA5 (this was auto, I changed to no effect)
    SMART monitor Enabled
    32bit Data Transfer Enabled

I am working with 1 drive

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

So if there is unallocated space, you can right-click the unallocated space and make a new partition there for storage or whatever, or you can right-click the partition and expand it to fill the space. Unless I'm missing something here.

Does that work?

7. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

Wow that was easy. Thanks alot. First time working with drive this big. Do you know why it doesn't use whole drive from the getgo?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. That is a mystery to me and I haven't seen that before. But the important thing is that you managed to get the whole thing, right?

By the way, what did you decide? A new partition for storage or expand? You can change that drive letter, too, if you want to by right-clicking in Disk management.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

9. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

I expanded it. Never had a need for partitioned drives. I'll end up getting an external esata drive later on for back-up. Thanks for the info, great and quick help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

The only reason I'd suggest an extra partition is for data storage. That makes the system partition smaller for making backup images for restoration, data can be backed up separately, and it makes utilities used on the system partition faster---defrag and chkdsk have a lot less to cover. And, if you move data often, the system drive does not fragment so quickly.

If you have a disk imaging utility to make a backup of the entire system, you can keep it on the second partition for recovery (though a separate drive is preferable in case of drive failure so that the system can be restored to the new drive).

But, to each his own, and I wish you good luck.

11. petera71

petera71 Thread Starter

That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm kind of forgetting I'm working with a big drive now.
    Thanks again.

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Something like this .. where all the Data is elsewhere.
    Makes recovering and maintaining the OS Quick n Easy.

Attached Files:

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If I may suggest .. I have a pair of these Enclosures for backups ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424001
    holding my 320's ..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136109
    with this eSATA adapter ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226003

For backups .. I use the USB connection ..
    but I have a third enclosure connected eSATA where I can boot to Vista if I feel like it.

Attached Files:

• 696.jpg
      696.jpg
      File size:
      157.7 KB
      Views:
  14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Vista makes partitioning easy--shrinking, expanding, creating, deleting.

I generally make my partitions no larger than my largest backup device so all the data can be moved. But too many partitions is no real benefit, either. You just end up looking more to find things, or at least I do :D.

But it will take a long time to run a simple thing like chkdsk on a 500 that is almost full. If you just want to run one occasionally for maintenance, smaller partitions are easier. but not TOO SMALL. The forum is filled with people who have no room left on their system partitions after installing too many programs. On a 500, I'd give the system 100 and never worry about it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice